Thread: Halls of the Mountain King: Eye of Grajava

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default Halls of the Mountain King: Eye of Grajava

Here's a few maps I did for an Open Design project - Halls of the Mountain King. The project is now completed and published (but not publicly available) so I can post the maps. These are around 9 months old now (or possibly even more?).

First off, here are the maps for the Eye of Grajava - a quest where the PCs have to overcome a series of challenges to prove their worth to get to a holy site. First we have three tests:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThreeTestsWeb..jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	22528

Then they reach the Eye of Grajava, a holy site in the middle of a huge ruby geode (not hapy with the way the ruby come out, but never mind):

Name:	EyeOfGrajavaWeb..jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	22529

Finally a combat in the holiest of holies - a sacred forge:

Name:	ForgeWeb..jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	22530

These images are commissioned maps and so are rights reserved.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think I like this set the best, but they all are most excellent!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

The forge is an interesting map. Shame I can't give you more rep for this work

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Very inspiring pictures/ I really like how you combine 2d old school technique with the digital color. I hope I'll be able to do the same one day
    I've been looking for tips for my personnal B/W work; would you mind giving us some advice about how you add the color?
    here the maps i'm talking about
    http://fred73fr.deviantart.com/art/G...room-125650337
    http://fred73fr.deviantart.com/art/G...-iso-125650171

Thanks
    Fred

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Those are great maps! I love the iso keep. You should start a thread on them over here and do the colouring.

As a first step I place a parchment texture behind the images. That gives one overall colour to the piece and some texture. Then I use a soft light or overlay layer above and some low opacity brushes to lay in the colours. Finally andother overlay layer and a dark blue to place the shadows then a very light yellow to place the highlights - with a more saturated yellow for the areas directly lit by fire (or lava). You can have all these layers at low opacity and it will look almost watercolour, or build up much more saturated colours like I have for these.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

These maps are excellent. Just beautiful!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Those are great maps! I love the iso keep. You should start a thread on them over here and do the colouring.
    As a first step I place a parchment texture behind the images. That gives one overall colour to the piece and some texture. Then I use a soft light or overlay layer above and some low opacity brushes to lay in the colours. Finally andother overlay layer and a dark blue to place the shadows then a very light yellow to place the highlights - with a more saturated yellow for the areas directly lit by fire (or lava). You can have all these layers at low opacity and it will look almost watercolour, or build up much more saturated colours like I have for these.
    Thank you very much, I'll try that