Thread: Kingdoms of the West

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default Kingdoms of the West

This took a lot of work and I probably should've posted a WiP thread, but meh.

This is a world where the free, industrializing kingdoms of the west face off against the vampire nations of the east. Picture pseudo-Victorian swords & sorcery vs. subhuman cannabilistic undead.

I wanted to try something in the style of those old 'World of Lone Wolf' maps, so I drew my own city and forest symbols, trying to somewhat emulate that look. The coats of arms are from I-Stock Photo; they're actually (mostly) the coats of arms of historical German principalities. The artist is Anja Rabenstein, http://www.istockphoto.com/user_view.php?id=2592070
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KingdomsoftheWes&#.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	22574  

Really nice work!

I love the city symbols in particular. I find you managed to give this map a particular touch. I like also the names of places you chose.
    Otherwise, the coats of arms of Cartessia (with the bear) are the actually ones of Berne canton (the Switzerland capital). And the ones of Volgria, the ones of the current Schaffhouse canton.
    These cantons were certainly former German principalities.

You can find the coats of arms of the 26 cantons of Switzerland here:
    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasons_de_Suisse

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

beautiful maps, fine lines, nice coloring. The coat of arms are a nice touch, although I would propably place them upright
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice work here Diamond!

My only tiny, little, teeny-weeny nitpick is that the mountain symbols are a bit repetitive (even though you varied the size) - No big deal really though.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Pretty nice work there, Diamond.
    The crests, though "borrowed", are a nice touch and the overall style is good, as well.

Like SG, I think the mountains could use a bit of coloring to fit better with the trees. But that's minor. I'm not a big fan of those triple stroke outlines on the coasts, but that's not just your map, it's generally in all maps. They seem to clutter up what is already a clearly defined border between land and sea, and they tend to look a little jagged, especially the out-most one. But that's just my opinion, and you shouldn't listen to it, at all.

Great job.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thanks, guys. Yeah, when everything was said and done, I wasn't spectacularly happy with the mountains. I was going to draw them in by hand, but by that point I'd already merged that layer with a couple other layers, and it would've been nightmarish to try and fix at that point. But next time...

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    The coat of arms are a nice touch, although I would propably place them upright
    But... they're tilted.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*lol*... yeah.. that SHOULD satisfy me
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Nice map as always, Diamon...and lol...i see that Cartessia should actually read Bern...
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars