Thread: Pirate Sea

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Wip Pirate Sea

This is what I have finally managed to do with the map that brought me to this Fine Establishment oh so many moons ago. This started as a PnP map of the land mas and some very poorly placed rivers. I was looking for ideas on how to continue using the pen, or at least the appearance of one, to put some terrain on it. Along the way I have picked up quite a few pointers and brushes. Some of which I plan on putting on this map.

Below you will find where I am at atm:
    A gray scale map aprox. 6000x4400 (scaled to 5000x3300) with the a few rivers done using RobA's Fractalize Path script and his mini tut on Woodcut shores that can be found here. I plan on using Wag's brushes for the Mountains, hills and forests, but they will come in later. The scale of this map is 200px = 80 miles.

Things I would like to do for this is add the terrain features, rivers, roads, cities and also label it all. But right now I am curious about the woodcut. I know that at some places it makes the land look like it is floating, and I wonder if there really is a problem with this. I created it by selecting the land, expanded the selection by 25, filled selection with black then blurred it by 150. The rest is the Mini Tut mentioned above.

Comments/critiques?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sea Map1..png 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	22589  
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Love that woodcut you got goin there, very sweet.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

agreed, that looks darnfine!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

The woodcut looks great, but the sections where it fades into solid grey stand out a little to me. Personally, I think it might look better if you lowered the opacity just a little, so that the woodcut is still visible for all the coast, even if it's just barely

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

how is this?

I noticed that the wood cut as shown on the full image looked a lot better than when zoomed in, so I redid it with a few tweeks to the mini tut (added an X component to the displacement map and a slight angle to the newsprint distort.)

EDIT: the full attachment still has a different look from the zoomed in. :/

Thoughts?

Also, why with a gray scale map does this hit from 500 meg to 700meg for working memory?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sea Map2..png 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	22598  
    Last edited by Korash; 03-06-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent