Thread: Hello. I'm new and envious!

Guild Applicant

Default Hello. I'm new and envious!

Hi everybody!

I'm a long time roleplayer with no artistic talent whatsoever. I found this website by accident while googling for fantasy maps that I could use for my next big campaign. I'm in awe of the talent on display here. It's one of the most impressive community I have seen, because the work on display here rivals and often surpasses what's available commercially. I mean, why can't we find world maps like that for sale? I think there's a lot of skills on display here but also a genuine passion and respect for what maps are and can be. I found myself immersed in some of these imaginary worlds, thinking of all the possibilities. It fueled my imagination. I hope all your talent and work is compensated somehow. Let me thank all of you who are showing these maps, giving tips. Special kudos to those who have produced tutorials. This seems like a very active and warm community.

I have no experience with the softwares mentioned here but am tempted to give it a try with GIMP (I hope it's available for Mac) and try to produce something. It certainly won't match what I have seen here but might be functional. With my limited talent I doubt I will participate much but I at least wanted to tell you all your work is appreciated.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll check out what this GIMP thing is about and then I'll come back to admire your maps, with the enthusiasm of a stranded sailor with a stack of Playboys

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

lol

Welcome to the Guild.

You will be quite surprised once you start working on those tuts. Post your WIPs early and often and you will be putting out thing that will blow you away in a very short time.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Welcome! What Korash says is true, I'd never done any kind of mapping before I came here, and within a few months I had a featured map. Nothing to lose by trying and everything to gain!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome - new here myself - but not new to graphics ... its a great community and people are good at positive critisism - so go ahead and try some of the beginner tutorials and get some input
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Welcome! What Korash says is true, I'd never done any kind of mapping before I came here, and within a few months I had a featured map. Nothing to lose by trying and everything to gain!
    And not to mention what he forgot to mention....the line under his name...
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Welcome to the Guild!.

@Korash, your statements reminds me of the old Adage: "those who can do, those who cannot teach", and I certainly do not think this is true of you.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave