Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: El Rey Muerto map

Map El Rey Muerto map

My first map in the CArtographers' Guild!

This map was done for El Rey Muerto rpg. I've been working in a library of ancient books, Biblioteca Armando Olivares in Guanajuato, México. There you can find great things and very cool maps. So I was inspired by those old books, in fact, the backgroud texture of this map is a cover of one of those book .

What do you think of it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapaReyMuerto..jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	22599  

Looks very hand-drawn/painted, other than the label font. Love those wrinkled and aged-looking edges. The coloration of land doesn't quite match the coastlines, but I guess that was intended?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm with G-man, get a nice hand lettered font to replace the times new roman that you have and this will kick much butt. Very nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Your familiarity with ancient maps really shows through I think. The landforms really have the feel of being drawn by ancient peoples from long ago. I also think the font could use some work. Another option to consider is just hand writing the labels? (assuming you use a graphics tablet) I've preferred to do that myself quite a lot lately.

Nice. I agree with what others have said; hand-written (real or font-simulated) lettering would make this even nicer.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yep.. I second, third.. eh... that... definitly hand-written, it would be perfect for that map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for your advice. Yes, it's intended that the coloration of land doesn't match the coastlines.

Here is the second version of it, with hand written names, what do you think of it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2hxa9ea..jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	22696  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it looks so much better with handwritten texts
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That's great, I love it!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast