Thread: Strait of Ghaunt

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Default Strait of Ghaunt

Well, it seems like I'm on a roll, having managed to complete two maps within only a few days. I started this map many months ago, with a different title, but then put it on pause because I couldn't get the whole battle map feel I was looking for.
    So I've decided to just do it as a regular kinda map. Not that much has changed from the WIP thread, really, just a few additions and some stuff has been redone.

Not that much background story to this one. Just a strait between two larger unseen continents, discovered by a guy called Ghaunt.

Anyway, hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FINAL..jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	978.9 KB 
ID:	22600  

I like the shape of the terrain and the compass symbol is awesome, but where exactly is the strait in question? I can see three landmasses that could be continental, while the label "Strait of Ghaunt" is placed on the bottom-right corner, making it look more like the title of the entire map than indicating the location of the strait. If it's supposed to be the stretch of water between the southern landmass and the northeastern landmass, one would expect the label to be roughly halfways between them.

Seconding the compass symbol, it's very stylish. The overall look of the map is very nice as well.

I think the whole thing is the straight.

Nice work.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Yeah, the whole map is the strait, but maybe that doesn't make sense because the entire coast of the northern continent isn't shown. I can see now how it might not be immediately clear, but when you make the map you tend to forget that other people have no clue about what's not seen. I'll remember that for next time, then.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great look, agree with Ghostman that the "strait" feeling is missing but I really like a lot of the shapes of the land - AND of course the compas - thats very nice indeed
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.