Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mountain Realms

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip The Mountain Realms

My first digital map ... not counting the lite challenge this weekend

So, thanks to an inspiring tutorial by Pasis I am working on converting my skecth of "The Mountain Realms" to a real and colorful map. Its the setting for a Dungeons & Dragons Campaign and the characters a currently residing the the City of Breakwater which is the only seaport on the map. There are 4 countries in the setting, one in each "corner" of the map. The biggest taking up almost half the map (political borders comming later on). Right now Im trying to figure out how big this map is so I can set a scale. I'm sort of working out from the desert which is a country in it self, and thus need a size to qualify for that (yep, I know not all countries are big - I'm from Denmark my self *lol*) ... I'm thinking 14 days travel from the coast to the mountain in the middle would perhaps be a nice size - but not really sure... feel free to offer advice on this ... and of course please comment on the map too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	main-map-01..jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	22636
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Really nice map, I like the colours and textures chose.

Concerning the scale, and by considering that the territory’s divided in 4 equal parts, 14 days seems to me to be good (nearly 7 days per country). It represents little countries but it’s correct. On my map, the Pays de Tía (which is a little country) can be crossed in 5 days.

Concerning your map, I just see something that seems strange to me. It’s the end of the sea in the corner on the top at right. The angle that makes the coast is very “marked”.
    I like very well your colours but the blue of the sea is perhaps slightly too “strong”.
    Otherwise, it’s a beautiful map

Blog Entries

thanks for your advice. I was thinking 14 days to the middle of the map - then 7 more days to the other edge - but that doesn't sound so much off what you yourself have done then
    yep - that is blunt end to the sea - I'll fix that ... classic-my-map-is-bigger-than-my-screen problem *lol* and a deeper blue for the ocean sounds good too
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

pretty cool Pasisean map ye got there! some remark: the river in the desert reminds me a little of the nile and (depending on the scale) you might wanne add some vegetation around it. also i would expect them to flow to the sea but maybe they evaporate before that (dunno if thats possible tho but probs some experts in the guild know this cheers!

Blog Entries

thank you, yes some vegetation around the river might me a good idea. I didn't let the rivers flow on as I thought they probably wouldn't survive the trip through the desert
    regs tilt

Guild Member

hay... nice map... only thing I can see is as allredy mentioned, the color of your waters. i have noticed that the rivers "sink" into the sands of the landscape... is this on purpose or?

Besides that... nice kort. og rart at se jeg ikke er ene viking på dette forum
    *Nice map, and nice to ti see im not a lone viking(dane) on this forum*

Blog Entries

tak med-viking
    The sinking of the rivers are on purpose, and I'll work on that color ... so I'm also guessing that three weeks journey to cross the land (horseback) doesn't sound way off?
    regs tilt

Blog Entries

So, newest version of the map - now with a darker ocean and some snow and threes to the north. Also added a temporary scale to the map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	main-map-02..jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	22738
    regs tilt

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Dude... nobody's repped you yet? For shame!

I like the way that's looking so far; the overall layout seems a little artficial to me, with the ring of mountains, and the desert nicely separated by more mountains, but the details are awesome. Damn good work with Pasi's tutorial.

Blog Entries

thank you very much Diamond, both for the comments AND my first rep ... It's an old campaignsetting that I'm spicing up for new players. I guess the ring of mountain just came from "containing" the game.. I have thought of loosing the lower ones or breaking them up. The mountains around the desert where mostly done in thinking that there would be some sort of border to "stop" the desert - don't really know much of geography/meteorology and whats it all called - so Im flying by the seat of my pants here *lol* ... would it be better if those mountain where remove totally or reduced to hills?
    regs tilt

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast