Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Port squelette

I guess you have to see "pirates" in the same light as "freedom fighters"/"terrorists": It is a matter of perspective. And when there is an island nation that makes itself a living from robbing other nations' ships that would make them "pirates", but they can build quite a civilisation or at least a nice citystate nontheless. Look at Monaco..

I like it. And, having just watching the program: THE REAL PIRATES OF CARIBBEAN I know there was pirate cities, (Tortuga was not a city, but rather an Island where the 'Buccaneers' dwelt, before they were openly welcome by the British into the city of Port Royal Jamaica.

The pirates in this case were privateer granted letters of marque against the Spanish, with whole England was currently at war, and the pirates were a ready made navy they could utilize.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

That is what I said too. There can't really be an independent pirate nation (or city-state or whatever). Such a construct will always need the protection of a strong nation and will fight under it's banner.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yes, privateers, although acting like pirates, are government sanctioned and as that have a base there. And by the way, as I said in my original post I don't object to pirates having a place to dwell - this just seemed very settled/organized for pirates. Concerning freedom fighters/terrorists they often live in communities easily relocated. And non the less, it takes a long time to build a city this size, and if your base economy is robbing others then one would think that once in a while a local force would gather and beat them down/run them off.
    Then again - in fantasy all can happen - maybe they are actually the strongest force around due to a war between other countries, maybe they have a strong magical force on their side, maybe the won the city in a game of cards *lol*. Anything is possible, and fleshing out the story behind can be just as fulfilling as drawing the map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

True, in a fantasy world you can find lots of explanations for everything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12