Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port squelette

Guild Apprentice

Default Port squelette

Bonjour,

A new city : port-squelette a pirate city.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	port squelette..jpg 
Views:	730 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	22638
    Sortilègement votre. Iparcos

My map

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

NICE .. really like all the small (and big) details - the dragon skeleton that obviously named the town, the statues along the port. I guess there really is only one thing bothering me... is "a pirate city" as it seems very settled for a city of outlaws. Then again - could happen, I've read the live ship trilogy by Robin Hobb - the Pirates a definitly a force to be reconned with there
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

And it has walls? O.o I agree, it seems very developed and settled for an outlaw group.

Blog Entries

It may not need walls if its on an island with a lot of ships to protect it. But it is very organized.

Interesting dragon skeleton and I like the big statues though how they would move them to the island is a mystery. And I also like the catamaran. We haven't seen many of them.

I wonder what the story is ?

(Tu as un histoire pour la carte ?)

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ilwan's Avatar

Great map. I could think of pirates that hold a civilized city like this one. Imagine the pirates plundering a civilized city - like Henry Morgan plundered Panama or Maracaibo like he did. When the citizens didn´t show up with enough gold (they hid it outside town) the pirates begin to collect ransom for captured citizens. This could go for months where pirates would stay in the city causing havoc. In the caribbean this kind of occupation would be limited to a few months, as the spanish army would have time to prepare for a counter attack and eventually recapture the city. But in a fantasy world the city could lack allies and the pirates simply would establish their own reign in the conquered city for decades to come.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Holy big dragon statues Batman!

Oh, and nice job by the way.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Pirates need bases. If the pirates are strong enough and can manage to ally instead of preying on each other, they could hold or even build a city of their own. A strong navy would still root them out... if a strong navy can be raised by their victims and they can find the pirate city. Maybe some of those unusual parts of the city are a base for an outlawed group of magicians who obscure the city's location with their powerful magic in exchange for shelter and supplies from the pirates.

There were no actual pirate cities. A pirate city or nation would be in constant war against everybody (that being the nature of piratery), so it probably wouldn't exist for too long. But there can be cities were pirates are allowed to take refuge, like Tortuga was.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, in fantasy it doesn't really matter what was in our history - if there is a reason for the pirates to have develloped as a power in the world, then they could have a city. But seing to the lawless nature of those men it would be a tough one to run
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I like your style!

This city is very trippy. You dont have to justify a work of art like this. This is a city of mystery and wonder, well done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast