Thread: Fantasy - Large Capital City: Arnor

Map Fantasy - Large Capital City: Arnor

Hello everyone. This is my first real post on this forum, so I hope I'm doing it right

I'm going to post some images of a city for my own fantasy world called Arnor (yes I know it's a Tolkien name - it's a tribute ...or something ). Some of the text on the images is in danish, but I changed the text on the main map to english to give people an idea of what the different districts are supposed to be. The whole map has been designed with a lot of functionality in mind - I like my fantasy to be believable.

The map is done partly as hand drawing and partly in photoshop. Before I started playing around with maps on the computer I didn't know anything about photoshop and I am entirely self taught, so I think there's probably a lot I can learn from this site. The map as a whole has probably taken something like 100 man hours to make - not including the later cut-outs and zoom-ins and so on.

Well, enjoy - and please let me know if you have feedback of any kind, as I'm always looking for new ideas and new things to learn!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	English - Arnor -&.jpg 
Views:	1407 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	22647  

Default Example of the Port District

This is an example of the Port District.

Name:	Havnedistriktet &#9.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	22654  

Default Port District - Cut out

This is the Port District seen as a cut out from the orginal map, to give a better over-view.

Name:	Cutouts - Havnedi.jpg 
Views:	1319 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	22655  

Default "Zoomed in" details of the city.

This is an example of a "block" of houses within a district and how they would look if you "zoomed in" on them. The idea is that what is actually there is more than what can be seen on the large scale map. The first file is an example of a block as it is seen on the large map, the second one is an example of what it would more closely actually look like.

Name:	Arnor Eksempel p&#22.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	22656   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arnor Eksempel p&#22.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	22657  

...and lastly some zooms on some of the more important buidlings in the district (and the wall towers as seen all over the city).

Name:	Handelshus - 5d c&#.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	22659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Havnemagistraten&#11.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	22660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mørkets Ordens F&#230.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	22661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bymurstårn - det&#97.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	22662  

...so again - sorry for the danish - but it's getting late here in Denmark and I have to get up early tomorrow, so I didn't have time to change it in anything more than the first image. Any comments would be well recieved as I really haven't gotten a lot of feedback from friends and the like here in Denmark, a part from; "That looks nice."

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

This does look good for a first city map. nice layout with the islands. One of the things that is missing however, is some sort of scale. I would be interested in seeing the area that this city is located in.

I do have a comment about the docks....To me the Dock district would be a pilots nightmare. There appears to be very little room to maneuver the ships, and it would be even more crowded when ships are actually at dock. I would suggest spreading the wharfs around that island instead of concentrating them in one spot. Either that or opening the dock area a bit more. I might have the distances wrong, and that kinda points out how useful a scale would be.

Looking good though.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Actually its better to post images using the Attachment Manager. When you make a post, a paperclip is in the menu, click that. It opens a new window that allows you to either upload an image from your computer, or link it from a URL - this way in your thread post, a thumbnail of the image shows up that when clicked on once opens a larger view, click it twice and it opens a full size on its own window. There are limitations mostly MB in size. If you click the dropdown arrow in the Attachment manager, it shows all file types and sizes accepted. There is also a 4000 pixel wide limit I believe.

I use PS as well, but not extensively, I do all myedits in Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0 which is a vector app. So I can't help you much.

GP

PS: also check out our tutorials forum, lots of PS tutorial in there.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-08-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

@Korash: Thank you And you'r right about the scale - it is included in the big map I got, but is clearly missing at this map. The city is roughly the size of (old) Copenhagen, so I had some idea of the scale I was working with (and has around 250.000 inhabitants - it's a big city). I'll try and edit my map later today and throw in a scale if possible - but I think right away that you might be right about the harbor. The reason it's clumped together like that is for military purposes - to be better able to protect it - but I'll have a look at it later.

@GP: I read the tutorial for posting on the forum, but I must have gotten it wrong ...I'll have a look at it later and see if I can edit my posts - I really like the different aspects of this forum with regards to images and attachments - pretty crucial for a site like this, but really cool nonetheless. And I would like to use it correctly! I think I'll have a look at the PS tutorials at some point - if only there were 48 hours in a day...

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking good fellow dane
    I Agree with Koresh, a scale would be nice especially concerning the docks. And as a note to GP the size limit is 30 megapixel, so if you multiply your height with your with you can't exceed that
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise