Thread: First Map: The Makeshift Mead Inn

Map First Map: The Makeshift Mead Inn

So I've had CC3 for a while, but it was just too much of a pain in the ass to get used too.
    Today I sat down and fooled with it for a while and started to get the hang of it (sort of)
    Anyway I'm sure I could do better given a little more experience with the program. Maybe make the atmosphere a little more.. dark.

Well this place is a little inn on the outskirts of town and is built next to a large hill. A few of the locals (bandits, thieves, rebels.. take your pick) have a little hideout in the back.
    That's about the size of it.
    What do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Makeshift Mea&.png 
Views:	318 
Size:	893.2 KB 
ID:	22701  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it looks really good. Nice touch with the secret cave attatched. However, if an inn had that many guestrooms, it would be often traveled too - otherwise it would be a waste of space (and money) - so if its a wll traveled inn, it should have a bigger common room - and to serve that - also a bigger kitchen. An idea could be to add a second story, making the bottom floor common room, kitchen and sleeping quarters for the innkeeper, second floor guest rooms.
    But very nice all in all - a good start in mapping. And you've gotten a lot further with CC3 than me *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Love the secret cave! I don't see anywhere for the innkeeper and his family or staff to sleep?
    All maps created in Maptools unless noted otherwise.

World of Corruption

Thanks guys.
    After looking at it, I realize that the scale is way off in the cave too.
    I think I didn't reset the scaling tool - either that or the screen is at a smaller resolution.. dunno.

Oh well

Took your advice and switched it up a bit. Not much though.
    I think I figured out how to make hi-res images, though it crashes most of the time when I render it
    Here's the new:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msmiSM..png 
Views:	364 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	22750  

Looks good. I hope you get inspired to do lots of interiors, because you do nice work that is readily DM usable.

On this map I assume the east wall is up against the hill. At the moment it looks like the whole map shows an underground dungeon rather than a building next to a hill. Could you change the background so that line of the hill is defined? And the ground around the inn might be grass, cobblestone, or different colour earth or other have features. Perhaps a couple of windows in the exterior walls would help showthat it is a building.

For DD3 inspiration, I'm sure you know to check out NeonKnight's stuff. Look at the way he uses lighting. Really excellent.

Thank you very much.

I know what you mean about the background, but it was really my first map so I didn't think it would look like something I'd want to save.. so I just stuck with the brown bg. I don't even know how to change it yet, haha. Ideally I'd like to show the hill and trees/grass around with a roadway nearby.
    I guess I'll learn how to do it eventually. I'll try to make more maps.. maybe for a module d&d game or something.