Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitsumura, village in Kaidan

The riverbanks and rocks look very good, but the hills on the background seem much less natural. Perhaps adding vegetation on the slopes will improve them?

The part of the river on the upper right corner, where it bends toward the right-hand map edge may be too wide. It looks as though more of it's width should be concealed behind the riverbank - compare it to the portion that runs right-left near the bottom of the map.

Oh I definitely plan on covering the back hills with trees, however since the background will show through in places, I wanted the ground to be there already. Same with the creek and falls, vegetations will be covering much of that - I want to place some Sakura cherry blossom trees, mulberry trees, cedars, twisted pines and ground vegetation too - including reeds along both banks of the creek after the falls as it moves across the bottom of the map. The bridge is already designed, just need to trace it and detail out to place on that road in the lower left corner.

I also plan to place various farm implements, clothes washing area and other village detritus throughout - this is still early on in the design, I just wanted every square inch covered ahead of time.

Edit: @ Ghostman, I just figured out what you meant about the varying widths comparing the top right to the bottom left. I will place some tree tops peaking out to emphasize this, but the bank of the stream at the bottom of the map rises just as high as the opposite bank, so much of the stream is hidden behind the bank - the stream is wider, you just can't see it.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-10-2010 at 06:13 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Default Got lazy with the background trees...

After making that single cedar try in the southeast corner of the village, I thought to myself, "Man, this is going to be a ton of work. How can I save myself some time...".

So I started searching for forest scenes in some coffee table books on Japan, I have at hand. Found a heavily pine forested mountainside and thought, near total coverage - that's what I need. So I hand drew a detailed mountainside of pine. I covered the background hills, foreground bottom, right and left side and the section between the stream and the village.

As the lone cedar in there, I plan to do several deciduous (leafy) trees at the base of the hill and around the village itself, just for some variety, but not nearly the work I had expected doing.

Bridge, farm implements and final trees, that's all I have left - almost done!

Edit: I see I need to scoot the forest in the top left corner up a bit.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitsumura-forest&#.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	22766  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-11-2010 at 02:51 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking good GP but the pine trees have a bit heavy line in comparison to the other elements of the map. May I ask how you work, is it all handdrawn?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Its all hand-drawn with pen. Generally I work at 18 x 24 or 24 x 36, however elements of a map like trees are generally 8.5 x 11, but that's usually one tree at a time. Because I had so many trees to draw I did these on a letter size sheet, instead of full size. I may redo them, but that's lots of trees and pain in ass... we'll see in the next day or two.

I agree, but I may keep them. I have to write an adventure yet, this month.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

cool... sounds like the job I want *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Default Work around

Decided to try a work around. I opened the hand-drawn lineart for the trees in PS, selected the black with a mask, shrunk the mask by 5 pixels, inverted then cleared the image, so now the black lines are thinner - still too to thick, but better than before. I really don't want to redraw all those trees at scale. So hopefully this will work.

Is it cheating? Yeah, so I'll do right next time, but its a work around.

Also added some more color detailing around the banks of the river.

GP

Name:	kitsumura-redo..jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	22773  
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

much much better, and no its not cheating, its working with the tools you have ... do you colorize in PS or is that also done by hand?
    regs tilt

While I scan into PS, and I tweak color/contrast, etc in PS. Most all of my map work occurs in Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0 - its a vector program like Illustrator, CorelDraw, Serif DrawPlus. It does everything I need for less money than PS/Illustrator - very powerful and easy to use. I run a daytime graphic design/digital print studio and use that app for everything.

All coloring, bevels, shadows, feathering, special effects, even use of Photoshop Plug-ins are all done within Xara Xtreme.

I only draw linework by hand - everything else is digital.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Default I'm calling this done....

I'm calling this map done! Added some rice straw stacks, fences with dyed shirt drying, some odds and ends, and a few trees, oh yeah and the arched bridge.

Now I'll post this in the Finished Maps Forum...

Enjoy!

GP

Name:	kitsumura-final..jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	22779  
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast