Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: March 2010 Challenge Entry: Winter in Iwaizumi

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd say way too much blue. Use the blue as a shadow color and put some more white back in. Or maybe something so pale blue as to barely be noticeable. You could also use some warm tones like yellow and orange to add some spice for dirt areas.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm going to agree with ascension on this. Unless you're going for a twilight look to it I'd suggest going in and really highlighting the surfaces to differentiate the light and shadow. As I mentioned to GP in his thread, I recently read a landscape painting book that suggested purplish shadows for snow, with a bright contrasting tint for the highlights. Not sure what that is? Yellow? Whatever it was, I was stunned by the results...I didn't even notice the color until the author pointed it out in the image.
    M

[edit]Oh, but I forgot to say...it looks amazing!

thanks guys, indeed the blue is way off... been pondering on how to make it better. in the end i decided to completely redo the linework to give it more contrast (and make it better printable as well). Also added more details to make it less blue and more interesting. also created a bamboo-ish border for the reginal map. I still need to throw in more warmer colors (dunno yet how to do it in a natural way but i'll find a way ) and do something with the river (maybe add a waterfall or something) ... but here's the update so far. cheers

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	march2010_7..jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	23101  
    Last edited by Djekspek; 03-21-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Keen eye Ascension, maybe introduce the 'art-brief-police' Anyway, I'm glad we get the chance to all correct this flaw. I added labels and did a few minor changes while having opened the file... cheers!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	march2010_8..jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	23276  

You've ruined it Dj!!! ruined it!!

My reading of the legend rule is that you have to name all the rice farmers / vegetable farmers etc too? Maybe Torstan could guide?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

My reading of it is that you need to indicate the houses that are the peasant houses, but not necessarily which is which. On the other hand, it could certainly be seen as a bonus to have the different professions indicated.

Hmm, i tried labelling but it got messy. Lesson (yet again...when will I learn) is to plan labels ahead. I tried text and numbers on all buildings but couldn't get it to match the style and make it fit in a way I want it. Texts got messy and numbered labels on each house needed too much contrast to make them noticable. I also tried "minature houses" as reference in a legend (so I wouldnt need labels) but it's not yet clear enough yet in my head so couldnt get it on 'paper' ... Grrr...

So I guess no labels on each individual house but just the main buildings (the rest is all farmhouse)... I did do a tiny change as the composition was a bit off so I moved the map a little to the right and whitened the border. hehe Ravs, hope I didn't ruin it completely now else i'd have to start all over again ;(

cheers!

### Winner ###

Name:	march2010_11..jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	23325  
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-26-2018 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Added Winner tag

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12