Thread: Howdy

Default Howdy

Been snooping for a bit. Finally took the plunge and decided to try and learn how to use a better map making program than CC2 (which feels really limited to me). I attached a drawing to kind of show where my drawling skill is at right now. This is literally my first 30 minutes playing with GIMP. Anyway here I am. Hopefully I'll figure out a better way to add in mountains and rivers. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New World..jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	334.2 KB 
ID:	22762  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Since you are using GIMP, I would suggest you try RobA's tutorial on making a regional map, available in the tutorials forum.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild

Very nice map and quite good for the first 30 min with Gimp. Like SG said, check out that tut, 'cause it is just filled with tricks for getting Gimp to do what you want, and shows you what it is capable of. It is a long one (and the thread is much longer, but also full of neat info), but can't be beat for getting into Gimp. As with most of the tuts on this forum, it has a style that you may or may not like, but walk through it and then try tweeking things and see where that leads you. After a whiole of trying the various tuts, you will start to develope a style all of your own. Which is a good thing.

I would also suggest that you start a WIP (Work In Progress) thread in the proper forum, 'cause you are likely to get much more input as to ways of improving/correcting your map. It wil also allow for questions on the tut (which you can also post in the Tut thread).

Edit: Repped for the map in your first post *bonk*
    Last edited by Korash; 03-11-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: repping for first post map
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I like the look - the sketch brush does a nice effect! The map is clean and very easy to read - a big plus. Tack on a scale and a compass rose and you could even call it complete!

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks very nice for your first attempt
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Welcome to the guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave