Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Empire of Humankind

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Latest WIP. Think I managed to get a few decimals closer to being done, from maybe 5,6% to 5,8% completed. OMG...

Oh yeah, and I've gotten the permission, from the legend himself, a2area, to use his totally awesome composite satellite image of Torentine. So, yeah, The current planet I made from it probably won't be the final version (doesn't do the map justice. ), but I'm really grateful for that, so thanks a bunch, mate.

Any comments and criticisms would be welcome, even appreciated, so SPEAK!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP5..jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	22879  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

really cool.. like the small details like the relay stations, and "Mærsk-Benelux Mining"
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

This map is a level of awesomeness I can barely comprehend. Kudos to you sir, and all your hard work; it looks fantastic so far.

Guild Journeyer

Ok, I wasn't convinced at first. I didn't see how that was going to become a map. Now, however I'm completely convinced. That's pretty awesome!
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

It's coming along very nicely!
    Hannibal ante porcos!

Maps
    Eohl Galactic Chart The Shuayie Peninsula

Latest WIP.

Okay, I decided that huge wasn't quite big enough. So the map is now ridiculously big. Not quite mind-blowingly enormous, but getting there.
    Added a few more planets. I'm really working hard to fabricate all those non-settled worlds, like small moons and un-terraformed terrestials. And struggling to come up with even more silly means of transportation ("Quantum Pneumatic Conveyor Tube", whaaaa!?).

So now I've gone back a few percent, to about 2% done. Nice work, self!

Also, since the file size is now so enormous, I've had to lower the quality of the JPEG compression significantly, to get the file below the 4,77mb limit. That's a bit of a shame, since it pretty much messes up all the little details I'm working so hard on. Once the map is 100% done, I'll probably have to find an image hosting site so you all can enjoy it with minimal compression. Unless the limit gets raised, which might be a possibility by the year 2017, which is probably when the map will be done.

Name:	WIP7-b..jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	4.60 MB 
ID:	22980  
    Last edited by Daelin; 03-17-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Some of those planets look freakin awesome, very nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It just looks fantastic - I get a sudden urge to play space games again...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Okay, I have officially entered loony country. I didn't feel the rather boring icons for stations, relays, etc. were cutting it, so I decided to "borrow"/craft some cooler-looking ones. I can't quite tell if these are any better, since they have to be rather small, if I want to avoid making the map even bigger (:O)... Do they even look like anything? Let me know what you think.

I've managed to get around the file size problem by making the background a straight black. Apparently, that counts for about 80% of the compression efficiency. So now the other stuff, like planets, look a little sharper again. That'll have to do for now.

Oh, and thanks for the positive comments so far...

Name:	WIP8..jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	4.62 MB 
ID:	23056  

Just a thought.. why would you put two fleet bases in an asteroid field? And I hate to be a bore but I think that the old icons were really doing the trick.
    Hannibal ante porcos!

Maps
    Eohl Galactic Chart The Shuayie Peninsula

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast