Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A First Attempt at Digital Mapping

Guild Apprentice Kaiser MacCleg's Avatar

Wip A First Attempt at Digital Mapping

Hey guys. I have to say, I love the forum. It's most certainly relevant to my nerdy interests.

I've been attempting to transfer a map I've had knocking around the house for some time now onto the computer, with limited success (you can see one of my old attempts here). After discovering RobA's fantastic tutorial for creating maps on GIMP, though, I decided to give it another shot. I'm really pleased with the results, but I'd like to know your opinions, as you're obviously far more accomplished mapmakers than I am.

The map depicts the Malikhbah of Nebūr.

So yes, any suggestions for improving the map? Anything I should add?

Thanks.

Latest WIP:

Last edited by Kaiser MacCleg; 03-14-2010 at 07:28 PM.

I like it, I think it's good. The choice of salmon-ey pink land colour seems fairly unique but I actually really like that. On the other hand, I don't think the colour of the ocean goes well with it, perhaps a less saturated blue. Also I'm not fond of the water texture itself, I think maybe it'd look better if it wasn't so dominant.

A border to frame the entire map might be worth considering. Always adds a nice bit of finish. And of course you can add a compass rose and scale markers, etc etc. Little things, all personal preference! (If I recall correctly, there are some nice compass rose brushes/shapes in the mapping elements board somewhere.)

Thanks for the comments! I'll try messing around with the map some more, and try out your suggestions.

Awesome first attempt m8. Not that I am far more accomplished but will still put 2 cents in.

I disagree with Larb on the water colour. I love the contrast maybe I could put this on a wall in my beach house that I have not found yet.

I do 100% agree with Larb on the water texture. It looks out of scale. It is too high detail for this scale map.

The only other thing is the trees just seem to stop and desert starts all around them. Might need something intermediate, just a thought.

Cred. again to Rob A for giving us newbies a great entry path to digital mapping!

Keep it Up

Naj

Thanks Najmir! I did worry about the water texture. Eventually, I decided to stick with it both because the ridiculous scale of the texture put me in mind of the campaign map in Rome: Total War, a game I've always had a soft spot for, and because, if I'm brutally honest, it was easier.
    I do think that simply reducing the opacity will go a long way to fixing that, though.

EDIT: Okay, I've messed around with the map some more, with this result:

Last edited by Kaiser MacCleg; 03-12-2010 at 10:05 AM.

I'd have to agree with both Larb and Rob. The color choices are just fine as far as I am concerned, but, in the first image, the water texture was a bit distracting for me. I much prefer the softer look of the texture in the second image. All in all, though, a fine job for your first attempts.

And I think . . . yes, the fingers are just itching to do it . . . have a little REP.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That second version is beautiful; the transitioning between the deserts (?) and the grasslands/fertile areas is great, and the mountains look fantastic. I also agree that this revised ocean looks far superior.

What about adding some little bits of fertile land/forest in that big-ass river valley running up between the two main mountain ranges?

Kaiser the adjustments have come up great! I have looked at it 7-8 times and cannot get past the green, I think the green is a little too green. I liked the dry bush type colour of the original map. Just personal preference.

The ocean is looking fantastic!

I do agree with diamond on greening up the areas local to the rivers.

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions everyone. You sure know how to make a guy feel welcome.

@ Diamond and Najmir, as luck would have it, I went back to the map this morning and began making the adjustments you've suggested here. I decided against greening up the rivers in/near the desert though - I couldn't get it to look right.

I need to get into the habit of using attachments, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Another Map of Ne&.png 
Views:	278 
Size:	965.4 KB 
ID:	22831  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast