Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breakwater - a city in the Mountain Realms

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very good point sigurd, and I believe your absolutly right. As soon as they see those crisp lines, they pull out the ruler. But any "bitching" and the NPC's suddenly aren't so coorporative anymore *lol* - gotta keep'em in line
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

That is quite a large city. I'm sure I've missed it, but what software do you use? Did you place each building or use some sort of script or macro? I'm looking forward to seeing this develop, judging from your starting point and your other work, it should be fantastic.
    Sláinte

"'Round the world and back again, that's the sailor's way!"
    Willie Wonka
    Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

http://warforsouthernindependence.blogspot.com/
    My blog exploring some unpopular truths about the war that defines our nation.

Blog Entries

Thanks Ilvarin, I've had it on hold for a while while working on other stuff, and have an upcomming exam soon, but I plan to start on it again next week
    After skecthing the city by hand I've pulled that map into Illustrator and with it as a background have drawn the road system. Next up are the houses. And yes, I'm doing it all by hand - every single one of them *lol*. After I have placed all the elements in Illustrator I'm going to export the map to Photoshop and add details like roofs, trees, paving and all that stuff - so there are a couple of months work ahead of me
    There are several tutorial in here on how to autoplace buildings if you're interested, but I prefer the control of placing them my self
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

"Drawing everything by hand."

I think I understand your alias then. They said of Don Quixote that he would 'tilt' at windmills.

I think you're up to the challenge and I'd love to see what it looks like when its done.

Sigurd

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Blog Entries

Thank you Sigurd, yep 'I guess I am a bit mad... or bitten by the mapping bug
    regs tilt

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Great project, tilt. With scatter brushes in Illustrator slightly different shapes are no problem at all, but I'm sure you know that.

Mad about mapping, only ^.^ I was considering trying my hand at a handdrawn map, and you've just inspired me to finally sit down and give it a go! Good thing I've got Illustrator - I can follow along (sort of)!

- Alizarine
    "If they get too nosy, you know, just shoot them."
    "Shoot them?"
    "Politely!"
    "Sir, I think there's a problem with your brain being missing ... at last, we can all retire to a life of luxury!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Great project, tilt. With scatter brushes in Illustrator slightly different shapes are no problem at all, but I'm sure you know that.
    Yep - but I won't let it hamper me *lol*

Quote Originally Posted by alizarine View Post
    Mad about mapping, only ^.^ I was considering trying my hand at a handdrawn map, and you've just inspired me to finally sit down and give it a go! Good thing I've got Illustrator - I can follow along (sort of)!
    Thanks, always nice to know that you inspire others - I look forward to seing your town grow
    regs tilt

Blog Entries

So - just to show you that I haven't give up.. here is an update
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	breakwater.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	321.9 KB 
ID:	26053  
    regs tilt

Guild Novice

Hey tilt, great job so far. I have one minor point to make about the breakwater itself. As someone that has spent a great deal of his life around the ocean, and has family that are commercial fisherman, I know that most breakwaters have a overlapping entrance at an oblique to the ocean itself. Of coarse this applies mostly to an Ocean as Sea's normally don't have the absurd wave surges that Ocean's do, so if the city is located on a Sea go ahead and disregard my comments.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast