Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shreeve of Shrivenshire

Map Shreeve of Shrivenshire

So this map had been languishing for awhile in a color flat version as I was not sure where I wanted to go with it but I finished it up yesterday so here are some progression pics and the finished version along with the little story piece I made up to go with the name.
    It started as a pencil drawing but ultimately the whole thing got redrawn in PS and then painted. Pics then story...
    Previously I posted an aged version over here - http://www.cartographersguild.com/ge...-set-maps.html
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shrivenshire 00 [Uncolored] lo.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	65992

Name:	Shrivenshire 03.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	658.3 KB 
ID:	65993

Name:	Shrivenshire 05_LO.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	65994

Shrivenshire, an area of writers who protested against the old king in many satirical and comedic dialogues posted as town proclamations in neighboring villages and shires.
    As punishment, a shire reeve was established to keep those unrepentant writers in check. This shreeve, or sheriff, imposed crushing restrictions on written works and thereby devastated the local economy. The neighboring shires, starved of creative literature and entertainment, begged the king to grant Shrivenshire a reprieve or install some less severe person to take over. This he would not do. His pride had been injured too severely and he knew other kings laughed at his mockery at the hands of mere writers.
    Many years later, after the death of the old king and the rise of his moderate and well read son, the prince of Litteran, the reprieve was granted. A thankful Shrivenshire, absolved of past ills, wrote a stunning work to the new king's graciousness and wonderful fashion sense. That work went on to become a best seller in the more fashionable districts of the growing empire.

The principal town of Shrivenshire, Olde Roods got its name as a twist on words. The area was long known for its pleasant lake and many old roads and routes through the shire led there. The region was full of gnarled old trees that refused to yield even for well trod roads, their roots extending out and causing the routes to be extremely bumpy and uneven.
    Over time people grew tired of such uncomfortable travel and fewer people frequented the lake. Only the most stubborn and resolute would choose to call the area home and so for long years it has been the home to writers and old men.

Hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think.
    If anyone wants to check it on DA that would be great - Shreeve of Shrivenshire by SirInkman on deviantART
    Last edited by J.Edward; 01-13-2016 at 11:27 PM.

Inspiring! Love all of your stuff. You make me think about possibilities of design and colors and texturing in fabulous new ways.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

It's nice to see how you go from your (very good) drawing to the final colored map. I'm not completely convinced with the hills that I find a little bit too "bulbous", but I do love your forest render!

Pretty nice .

Chashio, I'll take that compliment. Thank you very much.
    Ilanthar, thanks and I will agree. I was not completely satisfied with the hills. But hey, you saw them as hills, so at least they convey.
    Any thoughts on would you would do?
    Thanks as well Naima.

By J. Edward
    But hey, you saw them as hills, so at least they convey.
    Hehe, you're damn right ! Sadly, I don't have much to propose... I think we use very different techniques. Maybe just lowered whatever process you used for getting the feeling of slopes?

Not sure if it helps but I was going for vertical rises that have a shear drop off somewhat like these pics.

Name:	CIMG3586.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	972.3 KB 
ID:	66029 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 3 267.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	922.4 KB 
ID:	66030

So after Larb started this thread I decided that I would try a redo of Shrivenshire.
    I liked it but I never felt that it was really right. And I guess I like it enough that I would redo it.
    Here's hoping that it will be a true improvement.

I have nothing new to show yet but maybe by tonight I will.

Here's a little teaser of where I'm at right now [this is just a crop of the full size piece].
    Lots of line work to do. For this new version I decided to not do the full landscape surrounding the town and focus a bit closer in on the town and fields.
    We'll see how that goes. Maybe I'll change my mind.

Name:	Shrivenshire REboot 01a_01[M].jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	538.5 KB 
ID:	79091

Is this set a few years later or is it just being modified to fit your vision? I noticed the road along the lake north of the manor has gained some buildings.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast