View Poll Results: Which option should i use?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • A. Hand drawn, scanned, then colored in corel

11 78.57%
  • B. Hand drawn, colored, then scanned and worked.

1 7.14%
  • C. All done in corel

2 14.29%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: October Entry: Monastery of the Five Disciples

Map

so here are a few sketches i've done. i've decide to make this kind of a work in progress, show you how i design maps kind of thing. when i saw this, i decided i was going to push myself to greater artistic heights. one has a tendency to keep doing old reliable and not progressing beyond a certain point because it is comfortable to do so. "Why go the extra mile when what i'm doing works for me?" kind of thing.

that being the case, i looked all over the net for pictures, found some great ones, and thanks to Neon and a few others, as well as the great Cathedral book by David Macaulay (BTW, if you haven't picked this book up i suggest you do. great resource in cathedral, castle, mosque building. beautiful work.) was able to capture the idea that i wanted to explore.

anyway, here's the initial sketches. hodgepodge i know, but there is an organization that's going through my head with this. i'll post more later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File0040.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	1061   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File0041.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	1062   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File0042.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	1063  

Looks good. The only thing I didn't post about my works were the Pen-n-Paper Sketches I staterd with.

Good to see our though processes are similar.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Map

okay, here's a WIP for what i've got so far. need to put the pews in, altar, etc. i'm also working on the balcony for this, and that will be posted tomorrow. i'm lucky in that i have the next 3 days off, and i can really hammer this one out.

suggestions are welcome. note that i still have a few ideas concerning the floors, so i'm not entirely done with that just yet.

Name:	monastery5 pic1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	1103  

Post Columns really look they are standing upright

Strange I notice that the columns with the slight drop shadow, though a simple solution really does look like it stands upright, even without a bevel. I think its the sharpness of the columns with the softness of the shadow behind that really makes this work.

I like your balcony at the back of the cathedral.

And I just realized that you have your cathedral setup to face the other way - nothing wrong with that, I just suddenly noticed that!
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-10-2007 at 12:49 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

It is nice to see you added some detail on the unseen side of the picture provided!

-Rob A>

Map

okay, here's all i could get done today. i'll post a few more things ove the next few days. the first is 75% complete, and the second balcony level is about 50% or less, i'd say. still ahve some lighting effects, text, etc. i want to put in.

thanks for the kind words, any suggestions would be great.

Name:	monastery5 pic1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	1112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monasterybalc.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	1113  

so i've been far too busy to work on this one any more. with work, rehearsals, and girlfriends, i have been unable to advance to the next stage i want on this one. i may do a little bit more, but judging by the other entries, i don't even think i'd have a shot to begin with. sorry to be sounding so defeated here, but i'm running on a level of exhaustion i have not felt in several years. i may update this in the next week or so, but don't really count on it too much. i'll be posting other maps on the other thread i've started pretty soon. thanks for all the great feedback guys. i appreciate it. good luck to all the other entries!

That's a pity terrain monkey, it was looking like a really great start! Don't forget that although it's nice to win a challenge, the challenge isn't really against other people who are entering but against yourself. It's a great way to see what you can produce against a deadline, but with all the r/l stuff you have going on right now, it definitely takes second place after work and rehearsals (not sure about girlfriends though!).

Ravs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast