Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Double Empire

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

A question to our native English speakers: is 'fearful' (in the legend) the right word, or would be 'scary' better. Think about the Double Empire as an entity that makes foreigners s**t in their pants of fear only when they hear the name.

Fearsome or Terrible would be my choice. Scary is not as strong as the other adjectives.

Fearful suggests the lands are scared.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    A question to our native English speakers: is 'fearful' (in the legend) the right word, or would be 'scary' better. Think about the Double Empire as an entity that makes foreigners s**t in their pants of fear only when they hear the name.
    Actually the word you mean is "Fearsome". 'fearful' would mean they themselves are afraid which is the opposite of what you mean.

Fearsome means you DO NOT want to run into them because they are formidable and might be known for doing horrendous things to their enemies.

You could use scary but that tends to lean more toward a movie type of scary.

edit: Balls! I type to slow.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Terrible, Horrible, Awful (Awesome) and Menacing are good.. Tyrannous or Frightening perhaps?

I think Horrible gets my vote (0:
    Last edited by a2area; 05-05-2010 at 02:40 AM.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Thank you! I think I have to decide between fearsome and horrible!

Well there are also: Vicious, Ferocious and Malevolent which are smokin' good ones too. The last one there depends on if they are of evil bent.

I know English is not your first language but if you happen to know a good word you like and want to check others that are similar in meaning one of the best things ever is a thesaurus. I personally love them.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yeah.. like Jax said.. depends on if it's an evil empire or not.. Terrible is a really good on which would work either way... somewhat less malevolent i would say.. but still conveys great power and intimidation. Horrible is one of my fav. words.. but it actually might be a little over the top unless the empire is indeed really horrible.
    Last edited by a2area; 05-05-2010 at 03:25 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Infamous, like the infamous El Guapo from the three amigos
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123