Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animation software?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default Animation software?

So this is not 100% map related, but it certainly is software related, so I'll take a shot at it being relevant to this subforum. Does anyone know of any decent or cheap animation software that can be used to do flat panel animation? Ideally it would be able to do some form of tweening to avoid the need for setting and animating every frame. Any thoughts?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Adobe Flash, maybe? I tried learning it once, when I was into designing websites, but I never quite got the hang of it. But it definitely has that tweening ability, that is basically how it does animations, as far as I remember. But I think it will take quite some time to learn...

Flash is pretty much the de facto standard for 2d animation these days. Toon Boom is also useful, although I don't think it does tweening—it's more of a traditional cel animation aid.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would say flash too, and it has the options of making the program do a lot of the work for you, and is also compatible with illustrator if you have files allready made. AND last but not least - makes it real easy to post to the web after
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'll agree and suggest FLASH as well, did some work with it a few years ago. Powerful, but tedious to work with.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yep, I've fiddled a little with flash in the past. It's not exactly intuitive. The unanimous recommendation has convinced me to go back to it though. Once more into the breach...

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll let you know how it goes.

Blog Entries

You sure Blender wouldn't be a better option ?

Actually with a fixed camera and a 2D plane to work on Blender might actually be more intuitive. It still feels a little like asking - which do you want to be hit with, a brick or a baseball bat?

Late to the game.

Check out Creatoon: http://www.creatoon.com/index.php

Development has stopped and there is no support so it has been released for free use.

Its main features are:

* real-time editing previewing,
    * automatic in-betweening,
    * freedom of graphical style,
    * combining bitmaps with vector graphics.
    but...
    CreaToon is not aiming at the traditional animaton market, where animators expect to paint their content directly within the software. In CreaToon, content has to be created separately (scanned in, using a paint program, ...), imported into CreaToon, and then animated within CreaToon.
    However, CreaToon does include basic curve drawing tools ("sketch objects") that allow you to draw vector graphics within the program itself.
    -Rob A>

Actually that might do the trick. I'll have a look at that. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast