View Poll Results: Vote for one (1)

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Greason Wolfe - Lokasenna (Loki's Wrangling)

6 15.38%
  • Moutarde - The Tower of Heaven

18 46.15%
  • Rythal - Ursa Major

2 5.13%
  • Tilt - Jason and the Golden Fleece

13 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** Feb/March Lite Challenge Voting - Mapping a Myth ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default *** Feb/March Lite Challenge Voting - Mapping a Myth ***

This month's challenge was to create a map of a myth or legend - either from our own world or a fictitious one. Please go to the threads for each map to find out more about the myth being mapped in each case.

Vote for one (1)

Link to Thumbnails

Don't forget to rep the ones you vote for or any other ones you feel like deserve rep even if you didn't vote for them.

This poll will end in 5 days - March 20th.
    Last edited by torstan; 03-15-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Just wanted to take a moment to give a shout out to some of our fellow guild cartographists, who unwittingly helped me make my map

Thanks to Coyotemax, for his tutorial on a beaten gold effect, which I used on the corners of the book cover.

Thanks to keithcurtis, for his post back in 2007 about making realistic looking crumpled paper.

And also thanks to Al I. Cuza, whose made several comments on my wip thread that drove me to improve my map significantly.

That said, I voted for Tilt's map Looks very nice, and in a style that I very much enjoy!

Well, I have yet to cast a vote. I like all the other maps and am having a hard time narrowing it down to just a single vote. I'll have to think on this for a while. In the meantime, the least I can do is give out a little rep for fine efforts on everyone's part.

GW

EDIT : So I cast my vote. Because all the other maps were so darn good, it was a tough choice and came down to who I thought did the best job of mapping the MYTH, itself. With multiple views of the tower, and both myth background and researcher's notes, Moutarde edged the others out by a fraction or two of an inch. Again, though, everyone did great and I'd have voted for everyone if I could have.

GW (again)
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-16-2010 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Adding my vote
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

following moutardes lead I would also like to pay my respects to especially ghostman for his many good suggestions to my map and torstan for answering my newbi questions about the forum and competions and so forth
    And thanks to the people who repped me... I've finally crossed 10 so I can rep others with points and not just nice words
    I've voted for Rythal's map as I really like the little details like the camp and the overall "feel" of it.
    So now its time to continue work on my campaign map (link below). And please look at my tiles (link below) and give me feedback there as well - fully fledged battlemap comming up soon
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

great job on all! in the end my vote went to moutarde, love the creative concept and well executed!

Voting already. Man, I've got to get my life "un-busy" so I can spend more time on here.

I voted for Moutard's entry because it more thoroughly conveyed the story of the myth to me. Rythal's also gave me a good idea of what was happening in his entry. Greason Wolfe's and tilt's maps were great but I didn't get any story from them - and my knowledge of Norse and Greek mythology is poor at best so I didn't really know what was going on.

All very excellent entries. Nice job guys, and rep all around from me.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

just as a note to people who are not familiar with norse and greek mythology (as of course one should be *lol*) - in both our WIP threads we explain the myth behind the map - so take a look there to read it, there are a LOT of great myths in both norse and greek mythology - well worth the read
    Last edited by tilt; 03-17-2010 at 06:43 AM.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Well, unless something changes drastically over the next day or so, let me be the first to congratulate Moutarde on a well deserved victory this month. Again, all the maps were fantastic, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next challenge brings out of the woodwork.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I voted for Moutarde because I feel he captured the whole concept of the myth and mapping elements for the contest. I'm not sure on the use of Arabic for some of the script and the side notes talking about deciphering it....seems you could quickly find someone who knows Arabic. (it could be Farsi but same difference). Then again maybe I missed something in the threads on that.

Anyway, everyone did great maps and I enjoyed looking at all of them. I wish I hadn't been slammed with work projects this last month and had found the energy to enter something myself. I only got down a simple sketch. Maybe I can get it together for the Dwarf Stronghold.

Rep to all!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast