Thread: Greetings!

Post Greetings!

Hello!

I've had an abiding interest in fanciful maps since I can remember, probably starting with my first encounter with "The Hobbit" and "Voyage of the Dawn Treader". I created many maps for various RPG campaigns through college, and was fortunate to see a number of my map sketches professionally developed as a game designer in the 90s, but finally put my own hand to the till in earnest in the early aughts. I began with Freehand 7.0 but now work with CS1. Influences include Christopher Tolkien, English cartographer John Speed, and the folks at Columbia Games.

I have a special interest in fantasy urban maps. Here's a detail from a map I did for a Harn project a few years ago. It was mostly developed in Illustrator, and colorized in Photoshop.

You can see more of my exterior and interior maps from this project at the link below.
    http://www.lythia.com/modules.php?op...ttitle=Lerenil

I look forward to developing my craft and learning from y'all.

Cheers!

Paul
    Last edited by Paul; 10-06-2007 at 03:02 AM.

Welcome!

I do like the look of the Harn Maps!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Welcome Paul, I used to play Wizard Kings many years ago - nice maps the game had - did you draw them?
    Aside from a few maps I did for WEG back in its Star Wars/Indy days, I haven't sold any maps professionally. The Lerenil project was a fan effort. I did, however, have access to Columbia Games' icon sets in making its maps (this is most obvious in the interior maps like this one:

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome, Paul! I just downloaded the Lerenil pdf, & while I do not play Harn I am very impressed with the professional quality of your supplement, both visually and in content; you definitely deserved the award you and your cohorts netted!

I look forward to seeing your contributions here at the Guild, and I'll bet we'll learn just as much from you as you shall from us!

Take care.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I LOVE those black and whites. I'm not very taken (probably in a minority of one!) with the realistic detail type overhead room/large scale maps that are generally made from CC3 / Dunjinni etc. Don't ask me why. They look beautiful but they all seem to be somehow souless to me.

Thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I LOVE those black and whites. I'm not very taken (probably in a minority of one!) with the realistic detail type overhead room/large scale maps that are generally made from CC3 / Dunjinni etc. Don't ask me why. They look beautiful but they all seem to be somehow souless to me.
    I suppose it depends on function. For battlemats and player aids, the color and details add a lot. But for GM maps where function is more important than form, I prefer maps with a nice look, but also a clean one. The Harn maps strike a nice balance for me, though I also enjoy a variety of other graphic solutions.
    Last edited by Paul; 10-06-2007 at 07:53 PM.