Thread: CC3 Version of a Castle

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Wip CC3 Version of a Castle

I wanted to make something new so I spent a few days looking over some maps I could use in my Campaign. My eyes fell on "Vampire Lords Castle" http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/hoh_maps/HoH_map4.jpg from WOTC free map gallery. However, it did not convert very good to a game map, and I had no need for a dark and mystic Castle.

So I made a new version with a bit of color and such

Edit: Oh, and Its still WIP, so Texture and some object are bound to change as soon I finish
    I would also have liked to make them so that when looking at an higher level you can see the roof and such of lower levels, but alas, my poor machine cant handle it right now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CASTLE3..PNG 
Views:	290 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	22964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CASTLE1..PNG 
Views:	295 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	22965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castle2..PNG 
Views:	297 
Size:	4.26 MB 
ID:	22966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CASTLE4..PNG 
Views:	209 
Size:	908.0 KB 
ID:	22967  
    Last edited by Elothan; 03-17-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Added info

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Cool. I likely very much!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

A thing I am a bit of problem with is finding some spiral stairs that don't go "full circle", as the standard DD3 stairs do, for the tower.. The ones I used was from the dundjinni forums, but I am not satisfied.. So if anybody knows about one, plese do tell...
    Currently working on finding better textures for well.. everything really :p

I just tend to make own as the situation arise, or fake em out. Utilise the 'FULL CIRCLE stairs, but put a CUT in the floor that represents the area the stairs are going down in. Works for Stairs going down, but still not a solution for stairs going up.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Good Idea... But I need a way to keep the look of stairs more or less uniform...
    Another option would be to just make them in the center, sort of going around a center column or something, but I am not sure that would be better visually...

I like it a lot also, but I do agree that the stairs just don't look great as they are. I wish that I had a suggestion, but I don't. Even if you don't get them fixed though, it is looking great!

Oh, the stairs will be fixed somehow, even if I will have to (learn how to) make them myself... :p But not first on my to do list anyways :p

First, not a criticism, just a curious question. Why the long, long morning shadows outside?

The grass texture hopefully is one of those on your fix-it list. The tile redundancy distracts to an unfortunate degree, drawing attention away from the main map.

The relevance of the final points relate only to the extent that you want to make your castle look like something from the real world.

The individual stones in the floor tiles are incredibly huge. I've been in many castles with stone floors, but I've never seen floor stones more than a third of that size. I also never have seen tan floor stones, like those in your interior floors.

However, I would add quickly that I see no particular need to emulate reality on this level.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

The shadows is there more to give an impression of height tight now than anything else really, after things have been added on the ground I will have to see what I do with them

Yep, the grass texure is one of the first ting to change