Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fantasy map for a friend's book

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

removed by me
    Last edited by vernontwinkie; 03-20-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Wow... I love those mountains. How did you make them?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Those mountains are FANTASTIC!

It's a hand-drawn design I worked on. Took FOREVER to get them right. I have many different mtn ranges drawn and scanned so I can insert them and edit them as needed. I plan on adding the political lines and roads shortly. Any critiques for the land itself?

While the basic coastlines placed are fine, they are too smooth, especially near that southwestern rounded horn. Using the coast you have now as a guideline, really roughen up your coast with a jitter action while drawing them. Just so you know, I often hand-draw my mountains, scan and place them on my maps now - its a technique I've been using for years now. You seem to be on the right track - just roughen up your coastlines and this will be much improved.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thank you very much for the info. I used AutoRealm for the landmass. It just didn't fractalize the way I wanted. I'll for sure roughen it up a bunch when I transfer it. RobA also informed me that I should increase the image size. I will for sure do that before I deem it "finished"

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Um, Vernon...I don't think Fragless would like you taking credit for his mountains on the Map of Eltar. I know that you mentioned that you like his style in your Intro thread and even provided the link to the map http://fragless.deviantart.com/art/M...Eltar-28208522 but you copy/pasted his mountains from there and just made them a little bit smaller and moved chunks around a bit. I checked it by putting your mountains over top of his map. I can see copying one or two mountain peaks but you lifted whole chunks of ranges. Sorry, dude.
    Last edited by Ascension; 03-18-2010 at 02:01 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Well that's messed up. Can I take back my rep?

Holy crap! I feel dirty...

It's not exactly copied from his. I did trace his mountain and hand drew much of them. I admit that i should have given him credit for the design and style of the mountains. I did not see it as a huge issue, because I am going to print the current map, then trace and edit the mountains as I need them. I'm not going to just print this and call it mine. Again, I apologize for forgetting to give credit where credit is due. Those mountains that are on mine are edited and will be further edited.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast