Thread: A Riverside Fantasy Town

Default A Riverside Fantasy Town

I created this town just for fun. I hope some of you enjoy it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City1.jpg 
Views:	1802 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	29367  
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 09-16-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It looks really good, but seing it from a fantasy side it must be a really ordered society - the house have much space between them and lots of green areas, not like the real cities of old. But then again, if this for instance was a city buildt by a guild of mages deciding where everything should go and needing large parks for meditation and such
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Yeah. A great place to live except for the wandering goblins and ogres.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

gotta have some goblins and ogres to practice those fireballs on
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Default Ak-Ban-Tor's Canyon Stockade.

Here's another town from the other side of the tracks. A hob-goblin stockade, in need of some repair.

It's about time for another raid on those smug humans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ak Ban Tor's Canyon Stockade.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	23025  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Now that's an interesting look, good stuff. If the walls were made of the same stone that they're sitting on then they should be darker but not so dark as to blend in. Not sure of those lakes are filled with vanilla ice cream and lime sherbert or if you just haven't finished em yet. At any rate, nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The tops of the walls are meant to be wooden catwalks, which the harsh sun has bleached white. I think the final filter I applied blew out the wood texture, and water highlights. Easily fixed. Mods made and reposted in finished maps.
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 03-21-2010 at 07:42 AM.

It looks a bit more like gated communities than historical construction, but there's the *fantasy* for you. Frankly, if you have magic (or the right kind of labor pool and resources), so that the cost of building the walls isn't too high, and you can actually man them adequately (which requires less man-power if you are defending against small raiding parties or stupid monsters than if you need to hold off an army that will launch coordinated attacks at multiple points), then you can afford to spread out a little more. Advantages are being able to keep some livestock inside the defenses (thus protecting them as well), avoiding crowding that helps spread disease and assists pickpockets, and space between buildings to slow the spread of fires (so the whole place is unlikely to burn down in one big fire, a serious risk historically).

It's quite funny you say that. In my RPG game I run a world where magic is fairly accessible. Itinerant magician's go from town to town offering their spells to wealthy townsfolk; from mending glass, and crockery to conjuring walls of stone and steel. Books about spell manipulation on how to achieve a curved and tapering stone wall or or how to conjure up a magical glass dome are highly prized. Most magic items are to help with everyday affairs, rather than adventuring and combat.
    Many (but by no means most) human towns are bright airy communities where ducks and piglets scamper about while young maidens pick flowers and berries. Lively music can be enjoyed each night as townsfolk bring tables and chairs out onto the commons to share a meal with their neighbours. Indeed, as you say, the towns are walled mainly to protect the town from opportunistic attacks from wandering monsters and not from organised sieges. A wonderful place to return after driving back encroaching bands of gnolls and ogres.

I used to run campaigns of gritty, grim and perilous adventure; where life was cheap. Since I've had kids I like to envision a much more idyllic fantasy world. Often it is this happy way of life (and the valued NPC relationships) that the brave and heroic adventures stride out each week protect.
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 03-25-2010 at 08:09 AM.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..