Thread: Region map - Jason and the Golden Fleece

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Map Region map - Jason and the Golden Fleece

So, this was my first map-challenge in here, great fun

The task was "Map a myth" and I've choosen the Greek legend/myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece as it is well know to a lot of people - partly because of Hollywood. The map depicts Kaukasus, which is the country in which the actually Golden Fleece was found. Aided by Medea (who had fallen in love with Jason due to the godess Heras involvement) Jason tills the fields with the firebreathing copper bulls of Ares (brutal bulls who are strong and can kill by breath or stomp, gore... you choose)... he sows dragons teeths which "sprouts" warriors. With cunning (by Medea) he makes the warriors fight one another instead of him. Having done this he goes with Medea to the tree to where the Golden Fleece is nailed, around it a dragon lies curled, but Medea soothes it with her magic thus making Jason able to get the Fleece. They hurry to Jasons ship and set sail...

The map is made in Photoshop, everything is handdrawn, I've tried to put some greek elements in there to support the myth - the waves, bull and dragon is greek inspired. I never made custom brushes before - so that was a challenge, so was the drawings - I'm getting a tablet soon I think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jason_and_the_gol.jpg 
Views:	1467 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	22991  
    Last edited by tilt; 03-18-2010 at 04:40 AM.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Great entry, and even more impressive for being drawn without a tablet (!). I'd certainly recommend the investment in a Wacom Bamboo. Definitely worth it.

Really good work, and a great first challenge entry.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

For what it's worth, I thought yours was the only actual map in the challenge, the rest were artworks.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

@torstan - yep, gotta get myself a tablet ... just have to find the ... time
    @Ascension - thanks, I thought the same myself, but bow to the judges desicion
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

For what it's worth, I thought yours was the only actual map in the challenge, the rest were artworks.
    Me too...but the originality of the other one made me overrride my judgment....(sorry).

Blog Entries

@ravells *lol*... one goes where ones artistic mind takes one ... or beer... or the bus if you don't get off in time...
    regs tilt