Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Wilbur Question

OK, try this (attachment 1, 4):

Generate a basic terrain by Filter>>Noise>>Fractal Noise with amplitude 100. This way the terrain goes from 0 to 100.
    Draw your cliff edge selection.
    Filter>>Fill>>Mound with minimum height of 0, maximum height of 2500, and Operation of Add.
    Filter>>Height Clip with min of -1 and max of 150. This change will give you steep slopes from the terrain up to 150.
    Select>>From Terrain with minimum 150 and maximum 1000 to pick just the upper plateau.
    Select>>Deselect to hide the selection.
    Filter>>Erosion>>Precipiton-Based with the default parameters to round out the bottom edges of the cliff. Do this again as much as desired.
    Select>>Reselect to get your flat upper area selection back.
    Filter>>Fill>Set Value with a value of 150 to return the upper area to its flat state.
    If desired, Filter>>Noise>>Fractal Noise with Operation Add to get a little interest in the upper part.

Alternatively (attachment 3):

Start with a blank terrain.
    Draw your desired edge.
    Filter>>Fill>>Mound with Minimum 0, Maximum 10000, click the Edit Profile button, enter 2 for non-linearity, click apply, then OK and OK again to generate an exponential blend between the low and high portion.
    Filter>>Height Clip with Min=0, Max=100
    Select>>Deselect to hide the selection.
    Filter>>Noise>>Fractal Noise with Operation=Add and Amplitude=100.

In the last image (attachment 2) I downloaded a simple maze from http://www.billsgames.com/mazegenerator/ and applied the second technique to it followed by some cheight clipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm3..jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	23090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm0..jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	23091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm1..jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	23092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm2..jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	23093  

Ahhhh, that, very much, resembles what I'm looking for. I'll give this a shot once I've had a decent amount of sleep, and can actually read the steps without my eyes going all buggy on me. Thanks again, the help is very much appreciated.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

So I gave the first method a shot and the results weren't bad, pretty close to what I am looking for. Then I tried it again, using a slightly larger selection for the Mound Fill and ran several rounds of precipitation as well as a bit of incise flow across the whole terrain. Then I applied a slightly smaller selection and ran another few rounds of precipitation to smooth things out just a bit and got even better results. I'll post them shortly, but I think, at least for now, this is as good a "firing solution" as I am gonna get.

GW

Okay, added a couple images here. Image 1 is the top-down view from Wilbur. Image 2 is the Terragen render of the area "circled" in red on the first image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Results Testing-&#87.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	344.5 KB 
ID:	23122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Results Testing-&#83.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	465.7 KB 
ID:	23123  
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-22-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Adding attachments
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Heh! I think you have the beginnings of a model for Alan Dean Foster's Horseeye.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12