Thread: First 'Map' Ever

Guild Novice

Default First 'Map' Ever

Alright, it's not much, but it's my very first 'map'. I decided to start out simple and try out some of the various techniques I've been learning from you guys over the last few days. I started out bare without any sketch - which is why it is so sparse, but I was mainly going for a trial of techniques and to see if I could come up with something that looked fairly decent. It's nowhere near as good as some of the other maps I've seen on here, but I think I like it for my first try. Well, enough of my babble, here's my simple throne room, constructive criticism and advice /always/ welcome.

Thanks,

Tal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	throneroom..jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	522.2 KB 
ID:	23028

Edit - I don't know why but apparently the grid lines are....off...somehow in the image, though when I view the image on my system, it comes up correctly...perhaps that should be my first question!

Forgot to mention, created on Kubuntu 9.04 using GIMP 2.6.6
    Last edited by taladan; 03-18-2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Weirdness with photo and system info.

Have some REP for posting your "first map". It looks good!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Member Facebook Connected Elothan's Avatar

Nice first map
    It seems that the Dais and the gray rows of tiles on the left, somehow are above the walls, I think it would look a bit better if you adjusted that a bit

COngrats on losing your mapping Virginity!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like a good start to me...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Look great! Any Gimp questions, ask away!

-Rob A>
    Indeed I will

My first question is this - I used the pattern->grid setting in gimp to render the grid out, and when I open up the jpeg in gwenview it renders correctly, but any time I try to click on the link above like over half the grid lines appear to 'dissolve'...any ideas what my cause this?

Tal

Quote Originally Posted by taladan View Post
    Indeed I will

My first question is this - I used the pattern->grid setting in gimp to render the grid out, and when I open up the jpeg in gwenview it renders correctly, but any time I try to click on the link above like over half the grid lines appear to 'dissolve'...any ideas what my cause this?

Tal
    Your first click opens the image in the shadowbox. This is a scaled image to fit on the screen. Because of the scaling algorithm, some of the (thin... 1 px?) lines fade out. Click a second time and you will get the image in its own page (depending on the browser, scaled as well). In firefox, I click a third time and get the map in full scale, and all the lines look fine.

In otherwords, it is just a scaling artifact.

-Rob A>

Guild Novice

Awesome....I was wondering about that - thanks for the explanation. My second question relates sort of to gimp and sort of to linux...I currently use a kb and trackball setup to do my work in gimp...I've been drooling over tablet/pen setups on newegg for about a month now, trying to convince myself I don't need one...I'm currently running kubuntu 9.04 and right now I'm seeing that the only things close to my affordable price range is the (tiny) wacom Bamboo (5.8" x 3.6") for $69.99 US or the Genius G-Pen F450 (4" x 5.5") for $39.99 US...I know that Wacom is /the/ name in pen tablets, and I really would prefer something larger but can't afford a big one right now...my two questions are: Is the Genius G-pen compatible with (k)ubuntu linux that you know of, and/or are there any issues with it that anyone knows about? And, will such a small work area on the tablet itself adversely affect my efforts in learning? I suppose the answer may be to just wait until I can afford a nicer Intuos, but the biggest differences between the two currently in my range are the fact that the Genius is slightly larger, but it has 1024 levels of pressure where as the Bamboo only has 512 levels....I figure with the Genius being cheaper (by almost half) there may be underlying issues that I'm not aware of or able to find through my various google searches.

Any help on this will be most appreciated.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome, the kind words and the awesome help!

Tal

Guild Novice

*bump* I'm hoping to get some input on tablets from other linux users here in the forums....any thoughts on the genius tablets vs. the wacom tablets (the price seems to be substantially lower for these tablets)

Thanks,

Tal