Thread: Can I get some critiques on my first world map?

Wip Can I get some critiques on my first world map?

http://i.imgur.com/VGNfLP4.jpg

I'm pretty new at this, and I'm very enthusiastic about it. I'm using the Antique-style Maps in GIMP tutorial, and I'm on the step where I add mountains. I kind of hit a snag though. I can't put my figure on it, but the proportions seem off some how. Also It's weird how the landmasses on the edges disappear, which is an easy fix i think? I could just crop them out or something? Maybe it's beacause of how small the islands are, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with my mountains, and nothing feels right. Anyway, thanks for your time!

Edit: I would also welcome suggestions on how mountains and rivers would interact.
    Last edited by Plausiblejosh; 12-15-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Please, watch out for double posting.

Replied in your other thread with the very same map.
    Drawing skills? What drawing skills?!

My Deviantart

How much of the world are we seeing in this map? You call it a "world map", but the landmasses don't meet up either on the left-right edges, or at the top or bottom (the "poles"). In addition, the scale seems off if this is an entire world: the landmasses are either small continents or large-ish islands, but the largest are all roughly the same size, which looks unnatural to me.

Regarding the rivers, the fact that most of them run the entire length of their islands also strains credibility; I'd expect there to be some flat land between the rivers and the sea at some point along their length. The worst offender is the island at the top, just left of center: the only way that river could work is if there's mountains ringing the entire coast of the island except at the river's mouth.

Blog Entries

please see your other post
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=32467

posting basically the same thing 5 hours later in a new thread can CAUSE problems
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---