Thread: Sea of Stars and Surroundings

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Wip Sea of Stars and Surroundings

This is my first map in Photoshop. I am not too pleased with my lat/longitude lines, and will probably modify those to make the projection slightly more realistic.
    I blatantly ripped off the titleblock, fish, and compass rose from some 1600-1700's maps. The text is in atrocious machine translated Latin. I'm not too sure how to draw a compass rose across a spherical projection like this.

Created for a RPG campaign, The Sea of Stars is surrounded by the supercontinent of Oerth. Oerth is composed of three subcontinents, which I visualized equivalent to Europe, Asia, and Africa. The culture is on the downhill side of a cataclysmic dark age, and population is extremely thin, with society huddling around a few major cities and letting the rest of the continent fester, only maritime trade and travel preventing extinction. A world spanning ocean and a few small sized sub continents are all there is besides this super continent.

I will probably do an enlarged map of the Green Bay at a later date. I've only got names for seven of the major city-states, and detail on anything more than a few geographic areas is pretty slim. Providing Poetic Latinesque names for major geographic features would be appreciated.

The coast was generated using the Cloud filter, then turned into a path and stoked with a "rake" style brush. I (both at once) love and hate the "waves" around the coast. I love them, because they generally follow the coast, but are broken enough to not appear (overly) machine generated. I hate them, because at tight radii, the brush I used to stroke the waves turns into dots, and the waves only extend a few ripples from the coast, and the lines are too thick.

I will probably add some color and parchment effects later. Thanks for any comments or helpful suggestions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sea-of-Stars.gif 
Views:	423 
Size:	907.4 KB 
ID:	23060  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice, wonder how it would look on a parchment background?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Here is the semi finished version of the map, barring any additional geographic labels or coloring. I revised my longitude lines, so now they follow the surface of the sphere. I've really enjoyed looking at the work everyone else has put forth on this forum, it really inspired me to do my best!

Name:	Starfell-Sea.gif 
Views:	328 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	23083  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

really nice, and welcome to photoshop mapping ... have some rep
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

The first one is a very nice map and the second one is a very nice picture of a map.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice work on that. I only wish is was a little bigger, so as to make the details easier to see...

Map

As requested, here's an higher res version of the map without effects applied.

Name:	Starfell-Sea.gif 
Views:	212 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	23232  

Very nice. Are you going to continue the map beyond the borders?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Very nice. Are you going to continue the map beyond the borders?
    Don't think so, the user last activity was 3 years ago. Unless he posted it elsewhere.