Thread: Greetings from a Map Freak Humbled

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Default Greetings from a Map Freak Humbled

I've been a member of this site for a couple of months now, but never really got around to introducing myself. I've made maps of fantasy lands for years now. Yet I felt I had gone as far as I could with what I know. I was looking for a better method to mapping when I came across this site. Though I've never used computer programs in my mapping I've always wanted to learn how. Some of the work I've seen here, in photoshop and CC3, is simply mind-boggling.

Anyway, just writing to say hello for the first time, and to post this map I made for a friend. You'll note that there is no map key or scale bar, or compass rose, but that was the way he wanted it. Using Paint I added in a title for the map, a compass rose and a scale bar. All the scale bar and rose were yanked out of a yahoo search. Forgive the scan of my map, if you will. It looks a lot better in real life than what machine took to the computer. Except for the stuff at the top of the map the rest was done with pens, and colored pencils. I've been wading through the learning process of CC3 so I don't have yet any maps to post from that particular medium. Still, I hope to have some up soon.

It's weird, you know. I draw maps by hand, and for a while I thought I was really good. I had not met another person who could produce a fantasy map better than mine, but then I stumble across this site, and suddenly I feel as if I knew nothing at all. I guess that's another reason I was reluctant to introduce myself. The maps done by Ascension, and Steel General, are insane. I really like Gandwalf's work as well in CC3. Their maps make me feel like I've been drawing with my eyes shut. The Cartographer's Guild is an amazing place, and as the title of my post suggests a very humbling one as well.

This is my first posting so I don't know if I did it right. Just crossing my fingers that I can get my map onto the site.

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rogdar..jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	23071