Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP - CD3 - Wittgenfels

Time for another update!
    After some frustrating weeks of crashes when updating the map I finally figured out how to avoid it. I've added more dirt between the houses, paths from the fields to the farms to the streets, vegetation, reduced the amount of nodes of the mountains and added a lighted bevel and finally build the castle complex.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wittgenfels v3..jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	23993  

Really like this style, Katto. The cliffs are very well done and I like your buildings (colors are great) and fields. Consider doing a tutorial if you have the time, I think I could learn a lot.
    The buildings on the cliffs somehow seem huge... should they be this big?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Yeah I was also gonna mention that. The town and map overall looks really nice, but the castle seems monstrously huge.

It was late yesterday when I posted the updated version, so today I looked at the buildings and considering the history I must say you are right. I scaled down the castle buildings, because the buildings are normally just for defence and training area for the garrison. Only the 3 central towers are for representation (every leader needs this ). The rest of Wittgenfels is underground. I will post an updated version tomorrow.

Gandwarf, I think there is no need to post a tutorial. The houses are standard CD3B Gothic style and the textures I used are very simple to made (clouds, noise, blur), but I will share them when the map is finished.

EDIT: Thank you for the feedback. It was really helpful.
    Last edited by Katto; 04-23-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Too drunk to think

Well, please do share the techniques for making the fields and cliffs. A step-by-step tutorial for a small village in this style would be greatly appreciated though. I want to be able to mimick this EXACT style very badly From the houses, the colors, the grass, the roads, etc. This might even bring me out of mapping retirement I am really excited about your map, as you probably can tell... hehe. Your map contains none of the blurry stuff my city maps had, it's very crisp and clear.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Nice work. I really like the city and would also be interested in a tutorial.
    I feel your pain regarding CC3/CD3 and mountains. I started working on my current world map project in CC3 at one point, but switched back to PS because I just couldn't get the right look in CC3, particularly with regard to the mountains and forests.

Thank you Natai. Mountains are very difficult in CD3. I have also tried to create them in PS and import them back to CC3, but the CC3 feel got lost. You can find a short walkthrough in the tutorial section and the finished map here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12