Thread: Play-By-Post Maps for a Friend

Map Play-By-Post Maps for a Friend

Been a while since I've put together a map from scratch. Mostly been playing adventures with maps and have just been cleaning up and modifying them. But have a friend planning to run a game and offered to draw up the maps for him.

Apart from the base grass texture (from www.spiralgraphics.biz) and the rock texture (default photoshop library) I created everything using just photoshop.

Designed for a 32 pixel grid for online d&d 4e play-by-post roleplaying; hence the relatively low resolution. Unlike my previous dungeon adventures the map was created at the final scale.

His request: "I need a woodland trail with rocks in the woods and a couple of pieces of interesting terrain on the map - dense trees and elevated rock platforms."

He added one more piece of rock and one small tree to my initial version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoodlandTrail_v2..jpg 
Views:	1214 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	23124

The 2nd map he asked for was "another map is a large open camp, backed up against a rocky cliff. There are pickets around the outside, with light scrub surrounding it. The camp is big enough for a group of 20" He also provided a simple sketch outline of the camp which my map closely follows.

Though I learnt a lot from my first attempt at doing a tree, and have a lot of new ideas how I want to do trees in future, for this map I just reused the same trees, bushes and textures.

The tents and fire are user submitted art from the dundjinni forums.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CliffCamp..jpg 
Views:	796 
Size:	257.8 KB 
ID:	23146

The third map is going to be rather different and, since none of these will see immediate use, probably not going to be attempted for another week or so.
    Last edited by Vard5; 03-22-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's pretty nice and easy to look at. Good stuff.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I think the trees go really well with the style of this map (and I wish my "first attempts" at doing anything could turn out half as well). I look forward to seeing what the next version of tree looks like. Nice work.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review