Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Award Winner] Structural Shadows in Photoshop

Tutorial

You're right, I was a little unclear. You can see in the attached picture, that the shadows cast by the trees from the firepit are the same density. But there's a small triangle of darker shadow where the torchlight and the firelight both "miss" the area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FirePit..JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	23168  
    She's taken to calling me "Abbot Fou". I like it. Pretty sure it means "Enlightened Warrior."

Awesome, i was just looking around for something like this. Repped.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Blog Entries

Yes very nice and repped from me too. Tho I concur with su-liam there's a point at which you can get a lot of this for free in a 3D app. You have to balance whether the shadows or making the 3D objects is more of a chore.

What 3D app do you guys use?
    She's taken to calling me "Abbot Fou". I like it. Pretty sure it means "Enlightened Warrior."

Default It varies

Which software? Like our choice of mapping apps, it varies.

Redrobes primarily uses his own software that he developed/developes - see his Sig.

Many use Sketch up, because its Free software. Robbie the Admin (Arcana) uses 3D Studio Max, but then he uses it in his workplace as well. There are users of Vue, Vue d' Esprit, Caligari Truespace, and many other apps. Light and shadow is intrinsic to 3D software to help depict "3D", so yeah using a 3D app to build your terrain and map objects grants free applications of shadowing.

I use Nendo 1.0 as my 3D modeler - simple, fast, powerful/capable and cheap. Then I usually use my old Raydream Studio for rendering, though I have other more expensive 3D apps as well - Nichimen Mirai and Cinema 4D. Raydream isn't as good, as those two, but is easier to use - and having used it for ten years its a faster production flow for me.

Sometimes to create 3D plants - trees, ground cover, and aquatic flora, I use PD Particles a really cool and unique node-based painting application with all kinds of unique brushes (for leaves, conifer needles, grass, etc) object color tool to modify colors, and setting parameters to change how the nodes "flow" - its difficult to explain without using it, but when I need realistic looking plants, I use it quite a bit. Though in many ways, 3D apps are better, they are also more expensive, more complicated requiring more time to create objects, PD particles is fast and easy to use.

There are many options for 3D, so we all use what's comfortable to us, or what we can afford.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-27-2010 at 02:01 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I use Maya and am starting to learn Houdini, but both of those are outrageously expensive and targeted toward the film industry. I haven't yet applied Maya to mapping tasks, although I'm planning on building a modern cityscape in the near future for a short film, so I may just make a map as a part of that project.

I'm surprised GP didn't mention Blender3d, which is an open source package. It's quite powerful, although difficult to use. It's not so much harder to learn than Maya or 3ds Max, though, in my opinion. It's just a little less well-organized.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12