Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Structural Shadows in Photoshop

Default [Award Winner] Structural Shadows in Photoshop

Okay, so someone requested a tutorial on the shadows that show up on my battle maps. Here's the sum of it.

In the picture below you can see that you have to designate where your light source is, and what your colliding against. Obviously.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 1..jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	23149  
    Last edited by paradox_wanderer; 03-23-2010 at 12:46 AM.
    She's taken to calling me "Abbot Fou". I like it. Pretty sure it means "Enlightened Warrior."

Tutorial

Light, generally, travels in a straight line. So draw reference lines from the center of your light, to the edges of your object. If you want to get really detailed, draw a line from the furthest and the nearest edges, that will not only give you the minimum shadows, but the maximum shadows. I don't generally have that much patience, so I use the center.

Name:	Step 2..jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	23150  
    She's taken to calling me "Abbot Fou". I like it. Pretty sure it means "Enlightened Warrior."

Tutorial

Here's where you get to make a decision. Do you want to take the easy way or the pretty way? I added a texture to the background for giggles.

Easy way: See Figure 3a. Select the area between the rays. Apply a radial gradient (Black to white with the center balance at 75% to white, look at the gradient picture.) that starts at the center of the column and extends out as far out as you think your shadow should go.

Pretty way: See Figure 3b. Generate a profile of the collision object from the point of view of the height of the light. It can get rather complicated, but if you take your time, you'll have excellent results. As you can see, I didn't really take my time with my profile. I find it most beneficial if you can stick to paths in lieu of the raster masks. Using free transform, position the profile to line up with the shadow extents. (See Figure 4b).

-----
    After you have the shadow in place, change the blending type to something more appropriate. Multiply or one of the Burns. Stay away from the Light section as it tends to alter the picture in the white section as well as the black, and we don't want that.

Name:	Step 3a..jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	23152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 3b..jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	23153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 4b..jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	23154  
    Last edited by paradox_wanderer; 03-23-2010 at 01:11 AM. Reason: forgot some stuff....

Tutorial

Now it's time to soften the shadow. As it stands, it's not exactly attractive.

Easy: Select the area around the shadow (Go bigger then the rays, you'll need to have space for the blur to work.) Try to start one corner of the selection box or area exactly on the column. We're going to be using the radial blurs and it's mighty difficult to try to position the center of the blur in the exact location. The program interprets the extents based off page and/or selection. Hence the effort to try to make the column one of the corners of the selection. Apply a radial spin blur (I used 10 px in the tutorial images) and move the origin of the blur to the column. Change the opacity of the layer to somewhere near 50% and boom! You have a shadow. (see figure 4a).

Pretty: Again with the complicated selection from the easy section. This time, however, apply a zoom radial blur first. It softens up the edges better. I used 10px zoom, and make sure to move the center to the column. Then apply the radial zoom and again, Boom! (Figure 5a) you have a shadow.

Additional tips:
    if you're using the Sun as your light source, decide the angle of incidence and use that for every shadow angle. 45° shows up pretty well for most maps.
    When using multiple light sources, make sure you calculate each light individually and in their own layers. That ensures darker shadows when they actually overlap.
    Don't be afraid to futz with the edges with a blur tool to make it look exactly the way you want it.
    If you have a shadow that continues out to infinity, skip the gradient and go with a solid black.

-------

Good luck. Sorry for the highly unstructured method of my tutorial. I find that design is fluid and sticking to numbers gets me in trouble. I intend this to be a general guideline. Like cooking, the best comes out of personal tastes.

Name:	Step 4a..jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	23157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 5b..jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	23158  
    Last edited by paradox_wanderer; 03-23-2010 at 01:33 AM. Reason: forgot the pictures.

This is really good. I'll probably never use it, being a whore for 3d software. But I will rep you, 'cause it is seriously cool.

Great tutorial! I'd rep you, but a little pop-up box just told me I have to "spread it around" before I can give you more rep (oh well, it's the thought that counts).
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice, thx for posting.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wow. I didn't expect to see it this quickly. Awesome stuff. Thanks!
    M

this is good stuff PW, thanks for sharing!! By any chance you also have a good trick for shadows casted on other structures? cheers!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Great stuff. Just one note - if you have 2 overlaping shadows they only combine to create a darker shadow if they are shadows cast by two separate light sources. Otherwise the shadow should be just as dark in the overlap as for the darkest point of each individual shadow.

Good tips on the radial blur and the zoom radial blur. I'll definitely use those. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast