Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March/April Entry: Djöpúr-Garđyrr - Withdrawn

Wip March/April Entry: Djöpúr-Garđyrr - Withdrawn

Well, looks like I'm the first to toss my hat into the ring for this challenge, but that's fine, I'll do my best to set the bar as high as I can. So it's supposed to be a Dwarf Fortress/Stronghold sort of thing, and, after much discussion with waldronate, I've finally managed to tweak things around a bit to establish a base terrain in a cavern somewhere deep beneath the mountains. I think I'll have to tweak the shadowing a bit, but things are fairly close to where I want them at this point, and I should be able to start working on the fortress itself in the coming days. Got an idea for the backstory, but we'll have to see how that progresses.

GW

P.S. For those interested, Djöpúr-Garđyrr, translates literally to "Deep Fence Door" but in the common tongue, it translates to "Deep Gate."

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JG-WIP-3-23-10-2-B..jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	922.0 KB 
ID:	23159  
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-23-2010 at 09:37 AM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

good to see you're in the competition GW, I'm trying to put something together too
    looking good so far but I look forward to seing the stronghold in it as right now I keep getting that reverse view of the map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    good to see you're in the competition GW, I'm trying to put something together too
    looking good so far but I look forward to seing the stronghold in it as right now I keep getting that reverse view of the map
    Yeah, the shadowing is a real pain. I'll have to see what I can do to fix that, but there aren't many options in Terragen as far as shadowing goes. Still, there are a few settings I can play with and, in a worst case scenario, I can do multiple renders with the light source in different positions and try stitching them together. Hopefully, though, adding in the fortress and what not will help "cure" the inverted perception caused by the shadowing.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Sorry to be picky, but you are butchering my language here (Icelandic). It should be Djúpi Garður. Like the Vikings called Constantinople Mikkli Garður. Just substituting Deep for Great. Also Garður means Wall/Fence/City depending on the time period. So Djúpi Garður would be Deep City. Not a bad name at all. If you want to call it Deep Gate use Djúpa Hlið. The change on the last letter of Djúp is do to the different sex of Garður and Hlið.

Ohh and I almost forgot. Good start to a map.
    ---
    Gorkamorka

Blog Entries

@gorkamorka - a smiley somewhere in there after "butchering" would be nice.
    Other than that I think its good that you give some input in regards to your language but I see two inherent problems - first off, you use characters that most people wont know how to pronounce and as such it would be nice to "translate" to latin characters, secondly - maybe GW's language of choice is not icelandic but some dwarven version derived from it and in his world makes perfect sense and fits his dictionary
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

@gorkamorka - No need to be sorry about being picky. In fact, now that I know you speak Icelandic, I may be hitting you up for advice. I will admit that I am, indeed, butchering the language, though it is a butchering based off of an Old Norse to English dictionary I found some time back. It's probably not complete, as there are several common words that seem to be missing, or, at least words I would assume to be common. In an effort not to blatantly (and poorly) re-create the language as it once was, I shift phonetics around a bit to get things closer to how I imagine the sound in terms of the fictional world. So, tilt is also correct in that I am deriving a language from what I have. I probably should have mentioned that to begin with, as I did with the Lokasenna map from last month's challenge. In any event, thanks for the input, as it is most helpful and will probably lead me to a slight name change.

As for how I came up with the name . . . and again, this is based off of the dictionary I have as compiled by Ross G. Arthur in 2002 . . .

Djupr (deep) Gardr (fence) Dyrr (door or doorway). I'd have used gate, instead, but there was no listing for that word, so I got as close as I could by combining the words for fence and door

Anyhootie . . . I'm going to be re-fabricating this map a bit to make room for a more isometric view. I played with the camera settings and, by the time I managed to get away from the inverted perception problem, about half the cavern floor was hidden behind other terrain. I'm thinking I might cut out the southern wall of the cavern and that should give me a bit more room to play with. Will have to see what happens.

GW
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-24-2010 at 09:40 AM.
    GW

@tilt
    maybe GW's language of choice is not icelandic but some dwarven version derived from it and in his world makes perfect sense and fits his dictionary
    Like Tolkein? True :-) And I did say sorry right of the bat :-)

@ Wolfe
    In fact, now that I know you speak Icelandic, I may be hitting you up for advice.
    Feel free. Just send me PMs. I don't come on this forum every day, so please don't expect speedy replies.

Old Norse to English dictionary
    Herein lies MY problem with your dwarven. Old Norse is not quite like modern Icelandic. Just relay similar.
    About Djöpúr-Garđyrr. When I first read it I didn't realise you were adding Dyr into the mix. The reason being that Garðyr is almost the right word for the plural of Garður.
    So lets try again. The correct current Icelandic for what you wanted to say would be Djúpagarðs Hlið (Or Djúpagarðs Dyr). Probably in two words like that. If I was running this I would use Djúpi Garður as the name of the whole City (just to reflect the real viking name for Constantinople/Istanbul, see my post above) and then call the fortress Hliðið (The Gate) eða Dyrin (The Door). But that´s just me.

Good work with the dictionary by the way. That´s way more then most people would bother with.
    ---
    Gorkamorka

Blog Entries

good idea with the city name/fortress name
    regs tilt

Indeed, a wonderful idea for both city name and fortress name, and notes have been made. Now if only I could get this map to work out the way I want it to. Think I am going to have to scrap the first version in favor of a new version that is a bit more planned out for purposes of mapping rather than purposes of trying to create the cavern effect in Terragen. Thanks much for the advice on the naming situation. Save for that, I'll probably label the rest in the "common tongue."

As for that dictionary, I happened across it by chance, one day, when I was looking up words for other languages and though I should save it for future reference.

GW
    GW

So here is the re-vamped version of the terrain. It's very close to what I wanted out of it, although it looks like I'll have to tweak the "southern" portions a bit. Shooting for that hand-drawn look still, but wanted to also give the impression of a cut-away version. The lakes aren't permanent, and I'll have to work their shore-lines a bit, but still very close. Need to work in the streams, and then I should be able to start working on the city/fortress portions.

GW

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DG-WIP-03-29-10-A..jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	23313  
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-29-2010 at 09:43 AM.
    GW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast