Thread: GIS graticules. Very simple task, difficulty accomplishing!

Default GIS graticules. Very simple task, difficulty accomplishing!

My simple task is this. I can’t figure out how to get the graticule lines to show up on my map when I export it to jpeg, tiff, pdf, or anything else. The problem is by default the graticule lines show up in front of the countries or on top of them. I can’t send them to the back. The only way to send them back is to convert the grid to graphics. When I do this I can then send the graphic behind the countries, but when I export the map they don’t draw. Does anyone know how I can accomplish such a simple task? That is getting the graticule lines to show up behind the countries and then successfully draw? Any help is much appreciated!

Guild Member

Can you make separate layers? Have you tried to right click save? Can you 'print to file' with software?

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    What software are you using?

-Rob A>
    I am using ArcMap 9.3.1

Quote Originally Posted by Riggamorphus View Post
    Can you make separate layers? Have you tried to right click save? Can you 'print to file' with software?
    Hmm.. if that is possible I don't know how to do it, but im pretty sure it's not possible.

Have you gone through the help files? ArcGIS generally has good help files. That´s were I would start. If that does not work then look for instruction on making Mercator sailing maps in ArcGIS. They are the most likely map I can think of to use graticule lines.
    ---
    Gorkamorka

Switch to layout view. This is where you put together the pretty maps with scale bars, north arrows, legends, etc. Now double-click the data frame in the ToC on the left side of the screen. This will open the data frame properties. We're interested in the grids tab. Now click on the new grid button. The rest should be clear: choose graticule, set your desired grid size, etc. It will lead you the rest of the way...

Thanks everyone! Got it..

Yeah. I misread your original post. Sorry.