Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adalan Eu (WIP)

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Wip Adalan Eu (WIP)

Okay, next map!
    Most everything else is sorted right now so i'm free to start working on this one I will say though that never again will I just go ahead and say "meh, the tablet is with the laptop upstairs, i'll just get started on this and nab it later". It's amazing how dependent you get on them.. I used to do all my work with mouse only, but I seem to have forgotten how to even draw a line with the mouse anymore

Anyhow, I've got the base textures done, and the bulk work done on the large zones, tonight i'll be doing more research to make sure I get the fine details right. the rivers are just placed in quickly for the moment, expect them to change a fair amount

I was going to do this one a bit smaller, but I'm spoiled with having lots of room to work with It has some similarities to the Final Age map, I used a similar process to create the base for this one, but I'm expecting to add in some things that worked well from the latest campaign map too.

For the last week I was caught up in other things (non art) and omg, I missed being creative!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapbase01 copy..jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	23202  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

So why do you think I post so many maps here... I'm an addict! This one's looking good CM, but I hadn't expected otherwise. I don't think I've REPped you recently, so have some.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thanks! And yeah, once the bug hits, it bites hard

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!! Hahahaha! It's looking great! I feel honored to have such an amazing cartographer working on my world! Can't wait to see how it progresses!
    "I cannot offer you a satisfying beginning, for I do not know the true beginning myself. But if there is any beginning, it is with the Wakening, and the coming of the first Captains of the Elaseim." ~Rana, bard and Last of the Elaseim

Wip

Always good when the client is enthused

Here's an update, the rivers are closer to their final placement (i want to get them settled before I start on the drawings of the mountains, hills, etc) plus more defined terrain layout - I'm trying to give geological reasons as well as storyline reasons as to why some of them don't merge. Of course, once I got the scale figured out, that helped too, heh.

Now the question is, do I have the rivers named correctly in comparison to their placements?

(I may even stay with this font, too, it's growing on me)

[edit] reworked the border, and the compass/scale. It was looking a little.. disturbing I also like this font even more!

Name:	mapbase01 copy..jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	23234  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 03-26-2010 at 04:29 AM.

My finished maps

O_O WHEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot contain the excitement! I love the compass design! And you did get the rivers right. ^_^ Teeechnically Alveus Ie is supposed to be the central river, but that's bad positioning on my part from the first sketch, so no worries on that. ^_^ And I love the island group to the southeast, that's great! Are you planning on relocating Ea Mornen, or is that going to go back in later? Just wondering, hehe ^_^ Absolutely love this, and I love watching the progress, I'm actually learning so much from seeing each stage, it's wonderful. Can't wait to see more! It's like Christmas!
    "I cannot offer you a satisfying beginning, for I do not know the true beginning myself. But if there is any beginning, it is with the Wakening, and the coming of the first Captains of the Elaseim." ~Rana, bard and Last of the Elaseim

I've got the updates, and yes, I do have Ea Mornen taken into account, I'm starting to get fine placement on the go. I'll be posting another update tonight!

My finished maps

Wip

Ok, I have a new technique for the mountains! I think.

Testing it out at any rate, but it came to me while I was messing around with the clone stamp method Assuming I keep it, i'll explain the process later.

I've got a start on the mountain range, once it's done I'll fill in the hills. I like the way the rivers look, too!

I took off the colour layers to see how the mountains would look all said and done, and I think I'm going to do this one as a 1 colour ink on parchment dealy.

Name:	mapbase01crop..jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	23248  

My finished maps

Ok, I've decided I like this basically I took the layers from the clone stamping brushes I'd set up for a previous map, and merged them, then placed each mountain shape on it's own layer, plus a second set for the hills. I duplicated each of those layers en mass, multiple times, then just shoved the mountains around until I was happy with the placement It takes a lot of layers, but gives a lot of flexibility. Of course, once everything is placed, you can merge them and cut back on the layers, then multiply the whole thing.

Name:	mapbase01crop..jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	592.4 KB 
ID:	23271  

My finished maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That looks damn good, man. And a good idea with the multiple layers... I'll have to try that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast