Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Fractal Terrains Planet with a bit of Wilbur thrown in

Default Ethnic Distribution and Migrations Map... and skintone

just another Gotha map for use in development... none of the develpment or data maps will be in an old style but i will be doing some stylized maps later on.

some of these names were made up by another player/planet developer and all of the pics are from online.. and no i didn't cite them for use in this capacity |0:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ethnic_map-migrations.jpg 
Views:	1648 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	24745  
    Last edited by a2area; 05-13-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's a cool idea there with the faces.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Uploaded a final version of the map... tweaked some things and cleaned it up a little

Guild Journeyer

Impressive and a lot of fun.

I like the fact that you have racial combinations that are uncommon or absent on earth

Cool. It looks like planet of the extraordinarily attractive humans.

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    It looks like planet of the extraordinarily attractive humans.
    Amazingly good genes apparently (0:

The maps look wonderful, I'm amazed how you work with Fractal, Wilbur and Photoshop. I started to use Fractal, but I still have problems finding a good basic world with nice continents and islands. What Fractal Terrain Settings did you use?

Candacis, I bet it's as much a matter of what editing he did after the world generation. a2area, you've done a most excellent job of reining in FT's tendency toward a worldwide uniform degree of fractal roughness. Unless the newer version does a better job of creating patches of plains, vs chains of mountains, vs swaths of plateau? And the bathymetry is muy excellente. It would take me six minutes short of forever to stitch so much real-world data into an FT-genned set of basins, if I didn't give up first.

su_liam, of *course* everybody put forth their best looking folks as "average examples". It's a worldwide Lake Woebegon effect :-) The color-coded eras of migrations are really effective - I like.

I don't know what settings he used either. The Fractal Terrains tutorial on this site has some good base suggestions to start from.

I've got a decent set I use for my worlds, although it still tends a bit towards having an extremely large continent in it. I would suggest starting with the base numbers in the tutorial, then tweaking 1 parameter at a time, finding something that feels better to you, then moving a different param. Each time you change a param, look at several worlds in a row with the new settings so that you can get a good idea of what it actually looks like in use. Keep doing this and changing params until you find a set of params you like, then save them as your defaults.

Personally I like the Voronoi fractals, but it's a matter of personal preference.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Just found this thread googling .... I am impressed, I am particularly loving the racial mgrations and how you distribuited along the landscape ... I woul dlik eot do something like that in future for my own world as well , where diud you get all those informations on those racial types? Are those images downloadable and usable from somewhere?

Also I love how u used Fractal terrain , seems pretty good in contrast to the struggle I am gettingin , do you have made any tutorial to follow or a guideline of the settings used ?

thanks for any answer .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123