Thread: Realm Map Antique Style

Wip Realm Map Antique Style

Well, I ditched my realistic style for now, in favour of an antique style... partly because I was finding it hard to get everything to look as realistic as the mts... partly cause I figured this style would be faster... I'm going for a sort of monochrome color scheme, and I think that so far its looking ok... not sure if I like the rivers, but the pts are growing on me pretty well...

EDIT: trying to find a style i like for swamps and deserts... (and eventually frozen tundra) Attached a map with my first attempts... (desert is NOT finished.. just looking at some symbols) any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	realm_atlas1..jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	23220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	realm_atlas1..jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	23226  
    Last edited by loogie; 03-25-2010 at 11:53 PM.
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I like it, especially the rivers. Nice subtle scheme, clean symbols. *takes notes*

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

thanks... this was done in illustrator and photoshop... i used illustrator for the land, outlines round water, and pretty much all symbols except rivers... i paste them all into photoshop as smart objects, then drew in the rivers using the "Fade" size underthe brush options.. changed the length as needed (i just wanted to be sure i kept them getting thinner)... in the end i erased the last little bits of the rivers cause they were too small to be seen anyways...)
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool