Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mardarin W.I.P

Wip Mardarin W.I.P

So I decided to take that style of mountains and just give it a go on a little bit larger scale, this is just after I rendered the mountains and began coloring (didn't copy the mountains from multiple images and blend together like I did with the Lormarin's Pass, it took a very long time to copy parts of mountains in) so I thought I'd get one that looks half decent from the actual rendering. What do you guys think? of just the general layout, I know its very mountainous and thats fine for this map.

p.s. don't pay any attention to the Green, it was just a guide line for coloring the mountains. And I'll eventually bring it into a "flat" border.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mardarin.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	443.8 KB 
ID:	23221  
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

So I realized that when I last was making maps I kept a ton of styles and things from older tutorials here (Thanks guys!) so I just clicked a style and through in some trees, also messed with the river idea, just a little snapshot, wondering if it all fits. Any comments, tips or anything would be wonderful!

Name:	Rivers..jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	23222  
    Projects

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I love the trees and mountains! the rivers seem a bit forced, perhaps if you had them taper more as they go uphill? As they are, they cut in rather harshly.

Darn fine start though! *impressed*

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

hmm yeah I hear ya, Coyotemax... Now just to figure out how to make it a bit better, I'll mess with the tapering some more, but any ideas on how to make a decent river, when your working with something like this? (Pic #1) I was using those dark "canyon" things as a guide and had a gentle layer blend but as Coyotemax said the rivers seemed a bit "harsh" (Pic #2 uploaded again) and me doing a bit to soften the rivers but don't know how good of a job I did... (Pic #3) I uploads pic 2 again so you can compare them. Oh and I did adjust the forest a little bit (in Pic #3). But yeah, any help would be fantastic! Thanks!

Name:	Base..jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	433.6 KB 
ID:	23229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rivers..jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	23230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rivers2..jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	23231  
    Projects

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I see you're using photoshop.. what effects are you using on the rivers?
    The middle pic has better forests (lighter and better transition up the slopes to my eye) but the rivers in the third one blend a tad nicer.. (they may or may not have come out in the order you expected, i have the same probs with uploads, heh)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Well I've gotten a little farther, its amazing on how distracted I can get, but I was wondering if maybe I've gone a little too river crazy? Eh I donno but there are still a good hand full of rivers I plan on making, but tell me what you think, any advice would be wonderful!

Also thanks again Coyotemax, your advice did help!

Name:	Mardarin2..jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	454.2 KB 
ID:	23233  
    Projects

Well I added a little bit more to the map, not a ton but I decided to take the map to the boarder of the image or however you want to say it, I haven't finished the other side but I'll get done here soon.

Name:	Mardarin3..jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	547.2 KB 
ID:	23249  
    Last edited by Yandor; 03-27-2010 at 05:58 AM.
    Projects

Looking good, but the settlements (i'm guessing that's what they are) look a little flat compared to the rest of the map, maybe adding a drop shadow, stroke or some sort of bevel may help. I'd rep but i need to spread it around some more first.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Nice forests!

The forest-filled plateaus look very flat. There is no sense that the slopes of the mountains continue down, or any variation of elevation in the forests at all. You need to add some shaded relief to the forested areas to counteract that. New layer, fill with 50% gray, set to Overlay, and use the burn and dodge tools. Check out my Mennin's Hallow map for an example of how I did it with that same forest technique at a somewhat larger scale:

Name:	186.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	282.0 KB 
ID:	23252  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Hey thanks for the help guys! I finished the extra mountains and things to fill out the corners of the map, I tweaked the forests a bunch... for whatever reason I didn't like the color, didn't seem to fit in my opinion, but tell me what you guys think of the new color. Also messed with the "town" or settlements and added some more in, also put in a path... Still have a bunch of rivers to add, but its coming a long slowly but Any ideas, opinions would be great! Thanks!

p.s. Midgardsormr I tried to do as you said... donno if it really came out too well but yeah

Name:	Mardarin4..jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1,000.2 KB 
ID:	23408  
    Projects

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast