Thread: OT Help: need help setting up Wacom on Linux

Default OT Help: need help setting up Wacom on Linux

So... I am jumping back into linux and really considering ditching Windows for good due to several issues. However, it sure is a pain to get working correctly. Anyway, I can plug in my tablet in and it works as a mouse input device(plus including pressure sensitivity), but things like the eraser,the circle zoomer thing(not sure what to call this thing on the pad itself) don't work. I have tried several solutions from around the net, but so far, nothing seems to have worked after several reboots, so I am hoping someone might be able to give me some personal help over the next few days.

WindowManager: Gnome

When I open the Wacom configuration manager (which I had to install first), wacomcpl, it does not detect any devices. Gimp does have the tablet stuff listed under it's External Devices preference though(but still work work.)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Have you been to the Linux Wacom Project? http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Yea, but from what i have found, there is tons of conflicting information out on the net since every kernel/distro version seems to do things totally differently and even some of that information appears to be out of date. Also, it seems that "full" support for the tablet features (such as eraser,etc) is not really covered on the linuxwacom site so much as just getting the device input detected from their HUGE documentation (which frankly just confuses me.) Some of the things I have found seem to indcate that modifying the xorg.conf file is not good since a) it can mess up your system if you do it wrong, and b) there may be some overwritting of the file upon reboot(this seems to be possible for my case since I configured the file, saved as root and then after the reboot my changes were gone.)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.