Thread: No forested mountains?

Question No forested mountains?

When I look at so many maps, I see areas that are forests, areas that are mountains but so many maps (though not all and maybe it is not the majority) don't have an area that is forested mountains. Why is that? How am I supposed to know if a mountain area is forested? Or which part of it is forested? I kind of guesstimate that if it is adjacent to a forest, then part of that mountain area is forested.

I guess the same point could apply to hills and forests and maybe a couple of other terrain combos, but I can't think of any more prominent examples.

Is there something I'm missing? A convention I don't know about?

A mt being forested depends on a lot of factors, but, usually the terrain is to harsh for trees to grow on mountain faces... For many mts the rocky terrain makes it difficult for trees to grow, so they will think out as they go up, where the sheer rock faces come up... Also the lower temperatures of higher altitutes will stunt and eventually stop tree growth... other factors such as wind/water/etc also contribute to the lack of trees...

As for mapping, most people illustrate the general makeup of the terrain, so that trees go up to mt areas and stop.. they don't mean the trees don't continue.. just that what is considered "forest" and what is considered "mt" separate here...
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I just assume that mtns have forests except for the higher elevations. Making extra symbols to separate between above tree-line and below tree-line is quite hard. Hills with trees on them don't represent themselves too easily either. In the end it's all a bunch of inference.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

We usually try to illustrate it by using a deciduous fill for the foothill forests, a coniferous fill for the higher levels and a rock fill above the treeline.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

I've tried to do it, but my forests end up covering up the mountains so they just look like a forest, not a forested mountain.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Maybe put the mountain forests on a separate layer with a lowered opacity *shrugs*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.