Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The start of and In-Depth Endeavor

Wip

UPDATE: Fixed river-width, they're all slimmer and in the more correct places. Revisited waves, they're more subtle. Added mountain detailing, more scaled.
    Keep up the feedback please!

Edit: Oh yeah, I also messed around with the snowy area a bit too... As well as a million other minor adjustments that took FOREVER (8000x8000 px image = retarded load times.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the stand map3 (C&#.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	23492  
    Last edited by SkarValidus; 04-04-2010 at 11:41 PM.
    I'm new here. Don't kill me, please!.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*lol*... I've actually forgot what I meant, but it was probably really really wise
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

A mini update:
    I did a bit of colour correction, remapped the forests a bit, and I think I'm actually ready to begin adding lables and such! Exciting, right? So I'll throw up another WIP when I get a preliminary set of titles layed down. If there's anything you think needs further adjustment before I do all that stuff, just let me know.

I think the waves are a define improvement. Just a thought, but have you considered putting Nautical navigation lines on top of you oceans? ( these are a series of lines often at diagonal angles, used for charting the navigation of ships.) I am wonder if that might help the ocean feel less "empty". Perhaps that "empty-ness" has something to do with the extra waves you have been working with out in the oceans?

Well, I would actually really like to put navigation lines in (I got a sudden spurt of inspiration off the Saderan map), but it looks fairly daunting, and I'm not sure how to go about it. If you think it would look good, I'll go and research a bit, then try to emulate.

Guild Journeyer

I like the coastline shape.

I don't understand the rational of the placement of the snowy regions. You have a green island (in the upper left) that further north than most of the snow, and the peninsula on the upper right stays half green, even though inland on the same parallel is snowy. The peninsula might be explainable with a warm current, but i don't see how to explain the green island, unless magic is involved.

Magic is involved, as explained earlier on. Thanks for the sharp observation, though.
    Also, this map is not aligned perfectly north, it's about 20 degrees west of north.

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by SkarValidus View Post
    Magic is involved, as explained earlier on. Thanks for the sharp observation, though.
    Also, this map is not aligned perfectly north, it's about 20 degrees west of north.
    Oop, i shouldn't have skimmed so much, i see someone already raised the question.

A quick update:
    I have completed a landmass outline for the rest of the planet. I also moved onto weather mapping, so I've now created an animation of the yearly air pressure cycle. I have also roughly mapped the winds for the summer (July, namely), but since I'm so nooby at terraforming, I have no idea if they are actually moving properly. I'll post both of these creations pretty soon; hopefull they'll be up by this evening.
    Last edited by SkarValidus; 04-17-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Well I'm looking forward to it. It looks sharp so far.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast