Thread: The Lauretian Empire (a.k.a. Thain Lands)

Guild Apprentice

Map The Lauretian Empire (a.k.a. Thain Lands)

A map I did based on (but not exactly following) Ascension's tutorial (link: here) in an effort to convert my earlier hand-drawn maps of the region into a more realistic map with a more randomized coastline.

The map exists as a campaign world (specifically for D&D) that I've been developing for a couple of years, but only just recently returned to. The empire it details has suffered through a fairly short lifetime and has found itself, not 100 years after its foundation, in a civil war of sorts, principally because the rulers, instead of setting one heir up to the throne, always ensure that all of their children inherit - and therefore set them all at odds with each other.

The two outlines on the map indicate the empire at its peak around 990 (before the death of Lauret II) and at the date when the campaign begins in 1035 (during the reign of Lauret IV).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lauretian Map cop&#.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	23274  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good for the most part. The mountains look like black blobs so they need a little bit of work still but otherwise I'd say pretty good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

Yeah, I was trying to use your tutorial and for whatever reason, Photoshop decided that I wasn't allowed to use lighting effects on my mountains/hills/reefs layers. I figured I could suffer through black blob mountains, since it's just a personal project and not anything for professional use. Anyway, thanks for the tutorial, it's an amazing tool for people like me just trying to make stuff up out of nowhere.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ah, sometimes there's not enough memory to run that filter so the next best thing is to use the Bas Relief filter on a full clouds layer (or difference clouds). I think bas relief is under the sketch filters.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

Excellent to know, I'll keep that in mind...and see if I can't go back and edit that layer.