Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first fantasy map collection

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Nice maps...have some rep. The first tutorial I followed here was Ascension's (awesome tutorial!) and I eventually figured out, by looking at Earth maps, that I should modify the 'climate zone' gradient a bit. I took a different route, though and used multiple gradients so that I could vary the shape/size/placement of zones on my world a little...instead of having bands that stretched all the way across the map.
    M
    I did used gradients but im just too lazy to change everything in the antique map again. maybe another time. I'll leave this one as it is (my RPG players probably wont notice the lack of reality on the map).

Edit: I've found some information about the planetary characteristics of my planet. If the tilting angle of the planet where smaller than earth tilting, the heat on equator would be more intensive, this maybe could generate a hell's burning land. Correct me if im wrong please!

Again, thank you for the advice!
    Last edited by betomuraro; 03-30-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: found some information!

Guild Apprentice

Awesome map. Which program(s) did you use? And which tutorials taught you? A newbie here, so I'm dying to learn

Quote Originally Posted by Legiazus View Post
    Awesome map. Which program(s) did you use? And which tutorials taught you? A newbie here, so I'm dying to learn
    I use Photoshop only. Using my own knowledgement on PS and the awesome tutorials made by Ascension. He's the guy. Also theres a lot of good tutorials in tutorial's section!

Really nice maps. I can agree on one of the comments above that your players will love you.

Maybe we need an "Ascension-police" on the forum that looks for maps that has followed Ascensions tutorial and placed desserts in the wrong place ;-)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Heh heh, yeah I need to edit that tutorial but I keep forgetting.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by betomuraro View Post
    Edit: I've found some information about the planetary characteristics of my planet. If the tilting angle of the planet where smaller than earth tilting, the heat on equator would be more intensive, this maybe could generate a hell's burning land. Correct me if im wrong please!
    That's true. With little or no axial tilt, the poles would be relatively colder, and the equator would be relatively hotter. In other words, more extreme climates. But increasing the heat doesn't necessarily make a desert-- you need enough heat to evaporate most of the precipitation. This doesn't' happen much on our equator, but there's nothing magic about an equator that prevents deserts, it's more about how land masses effect the prevailing winds, and weather those winds have moisture to drop.

Also with little or no axial tilt, seasons would be minimized or disappear-- though you could get a similar effect if the planet had an eccentric orbit-- but that would produce season that were the same on the north and south hemisphere instead of opposite as ours are.

Desert doesn't mean hot, it means dry. Some of the driest desert in the world is in Antarctica. Thinking desert = hot is probably the most common fallacy about deserts. Water helps moderate temperatures, so deserts are generally hot in the day, and cold at night. People tend to forget the cold deserts and that even hot deserts can be dangerously cold at night.

This map actually brought me here to these forums. It is incredible, I love that you made the different versions and even the temperature guage. For your first map it is brilliant.

That said my indie game development team and I are looking for a world-map designer who can really flesh out a believable fantasy world. It would be awesome to potentially talk to you about becoming that "cartographer." We've had some concepts drawn up but none of them really fit so far and we'd love to see what you can do with our world.

Contact me directly at reymasofashborne@gmail.com if you're interested. Hope to hear from you soon!

With regard to the desert issue ...

That image is only a mean annual temperature guide - that shouldn't necessarily denote the climate. Having spent a lot of time in the tropics, I can tell you that it gets bloody hot all year round; just the humidity and rain distribution varies. As for deserts, unfortunately spending some time in those sorts of places too, they can be seasonably cold as well as seasonably hot. If the temperature map was complemented by an annual mean rainfall distribution map, then we can more accurately determine the climate.

So, depending on how hard and fast the labelled map is, it wouldn't be hard to shift a few labels around

On the other hand, if that is an average temperature map... 80 degrees Celsius? Really? That would be enough to burn any equatorial landmass into an uninhabitable desert! You needn't worry about tropical rains, because it will all evaporate before it even left the cloud (which there probably won't be any of).

I think I am making a point somewhere in those ramblings?
    Regards,

RK

Guild Applicant

I'll be using your fantastic map on a rpg of my own with full acknowlegdement of course. So thank you betomuraro and good work!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast