Thread: The land of Amidir (my first map posted here)

Map The land of Amidir (my first map posted here)

So... I finally forced myself to post a map here ._.
    I've made literally hundreds of maps but most of them never get finished >_>

This is one of the few I've decided to finish.

I still have to decide where to put the rivers without getting arrested by the river-police.

If you think the desert in the middle doesn't belong there... Well, in that case, It could be explained as being the result of a giant "accident" by some random wizard.

And oh, I work in Ms Paint and (on rare occasions) Gimp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fantasymaplayout&#54.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	23528  
    Last edited by Steel General; 04-06-2010 at 10:12 AM.
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Nice coastlines. You drew all that with the mouse? The desert itself doesn't seem so oddly placed, but it sure seems to have lots of watery lakes in it

Thanks! yes, I draw with the mouse (altough I do have a wacom) Thanks for the comment ^^
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Nice mountains. I was going to mention all those lakes in the desert, but Ghostman beat me to it.

Guild Apprentice

Very nice coastlines, yes. I wish mine were as good when I try to make them in Paint.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The placement of the desert really depends a LOT on the prevailing winds. Could make a case for those coming from the south, especially with all those lakes there it's likely that there's a lot of rain somewhere in that general area. The most likely desert candidate on this map is the area just west of it, the one encircled by mountains. Think Atacama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atacama_Desert).

There's also the matter of latitude. The Atacama is on the Tropic of Capricorn, so it'd probably be desert even without any mountains. It's just a (to use a cliche so inapt, I must use it when I'd normally avoid it) perfect storm of desert-producing conditions that makes it "the driest place on Earth". Rain shadows are important, but they aren't the only thing. If the wind is going west to east, I agree with bartmoss on placing the desert (although then what is desert here may still be pretty dry unless it gets rain coming up from the south or maybe the northwest, across that big lake), but if it is east to west, the other mountains appear small and unlikely to have a significant rain shadow effect. The northern mountains look like they'd block a lot of weather and that could keep climates more mild if this is in the northern hemisphere.