Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Untitled Continent Map

Wip Untitled Continent Map

This is my first attempt at digital mapping. I'm really pleased at how it came out actually, thanks to some excellent tutorials on this site.

Anyways, I'm working on world building, and this is by no means the finished product, more of a test run. I think I'm finding the texture overlays on the map may be to overpowering when I attempt to add towns, borders, area names and the like, so I'm probably going to do another version more traditional (parchment, pen and ink style).

I was just looking for feedback so far. I know my rivers are pretty odd, I'll have to fix those up (they're pretty wide and taper off to suddenly). Any other advice from you more season map makers would be appreciated!

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KodiakMap..jpg 
Views:	1108 
Size:	957.2 KB 
ID:	22860  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking good - a nice start on map-making. And concerning your rivers (or fjords) at least you won't have the river police come running - they look like they are running the right way
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Fantastic look. Real nice use of coloring, and the shape of the coastlines look really good as well. The only thing I can point like a half-bent finger at is that the texture looks pretty uniform, across forest, grassland and desert, and also the lack of elevation.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

I like it very much

Have some re.

Guild Apprentice Kaiser MacCleg's Avatar

Very nice. I really like the shape of the continent, too.

Ok, its been a while since I posted this (busy time), but I've been messing around with everyone's suggestions and have made V2, which I'm quite happy with now. I made the mountains stand out a lot more, decreased the texture on the ground, and gave it less intense colouring. The reason for this is because I do need to still add forests, towns, borders, etc. on the map. I don't want it to be too vibrant. Since I had to make this one from pretty much scratch (except for the shape) I took it upon myself to spruce it up a bit. I doubled the size (however for online purposes, it is still only at 50%), redid all of the rivers so they fell into the scale much better, and added some lakes to make it more interesting.

Again, I'm really open to feedback, it really helps in getting things right. The end product will be twice this size, so that each region can be mapped at a nice resolution to include towns, cities and other neat landmarks. I hope for each region to almost be a standalone map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KodiakMapV2..jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	828.0 KB 
ID:	23517

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks good, and nice coastlines, too.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's very nice. I liked the first one too, but this one is far superior. One thing - do the different colors just represent different general terrain areas, or are the darker greens actual forests? If they are forests, you might try adding some kind of vegetation patterning to make it more obvious. Anyway, it's awesome and the end product will I'm sure be fantastic. Have some rep.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Great looking shape and great colors. Well done, there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is coming along quite nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast