Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Newbie Software Advice: CC3 Versus PS CS3?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help Seeking Newbie Software Advice: CC3 Versus PS CS3?

Hey all. I'm new to digital cartography. Rather than a long rant about needing to make maps for my steampunk game, allow me to throw my questions out there.

1. I own PS CS3 and have a beginners grasp on photoshop. I see some folks build maps off of PS alone. Is it possible to do that with cities as well?
    2. Money isn't a factor in picking up CC3, along with DD3 and CD3. But are they easy to use, or at least have easy to follow tutorials? Can I do everything in CS3 with Map Symbol and Stamp Packs?
    3. If I wanted to make maps that were of the same graphic quality as Skeleton Key Games Maps/Tiles what programs would I need/want to grab? This one is the most important to me to find an answer to.

Thanks in advance for any assistance the guild can offer.

Well, I use CC3 exclusively for the maps I do (for my biggest collection look for the THUNDERSPIRE, PYRAMID OF SHADOWS and KING OF THE TROLLHAUNT WARRENS in the finished map section....or my sig in about 5 minutes). I very seldom do any post work in PS beyond ensuring the scale is done correctly.

Can you do in PS what you can in PS? Yes. Cities, yes, but for myself, I hate the BRUSH look of the buildings, where each building is a separate entity, as it lacks the cramped look cities historically had.

Is CC3 and it's add ons easy to use? I think so. I picked the software up around 12 years ago (When it was CC, then CC2 and CC2 Pro). The interface has never really changed, and if you follow the tutorials, you will be golden in no time.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Can you make cities in photoshop?

Well, at the risk of not seeming humble, I did this when i was still working on PS7:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...years-later%29

Really, what it comes down to is whether you are willing to put in the effort to overcome the learning curve/nitpickiness necessary to do everything by hand, compromise and automate the process to a certain extent, or whether you need them quickly.

(Cruzamento was not a fast process and I cheated by basing it off an earlier version of the same town)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

The big selling point for me on CC3 I guess is: Can I take a map I make in CC3 and print it out to where every grid spot is actually one inch squares spanning over several pages of paper? That way I can map out whole dungeons and use miniatures to place pc's/npc's on the actual map that I make.

Quote Originally Posted by ZDPhoenix View Post
    The big selling point for me on CC3 I guess is: Can I take a map I make in CC3 and print it out to where every grid spot is actually one inch squares spanning over several pages of paper? That way I can map out whole dungeons and use miniatures to place pc's/npc's on the actual map that I make.
    For printing spanning pages, I'd suggest posterazor.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    For printing spanning pages, I'd suggest posterazor.

-Rob A>
    That's a great utility. Thanks for linking that!

So can CC3 help me create skirmish/challenge maps that are 1" per square on a grid? I'd like to either buy CC3 or start CS3 tutorials sometime before the end of the day, so I have something ready by game day next week.
    Last edited by ZDPhoenix; 03-31-2010 at 04:19 PM.

That's a great utility. Thanks for linking that!

So can CC3 help me create skirmish/challenge maps that are 1" per square on a grid? I'd like to either buy CC3 or start CS3 tutorials sometime before the end of the day, so I have something ready by game day next week.
    Yep. Check out the links in my sig. They are Miniature scale battlemaps all with a 1" grid. Each takes me around 30-60 minutes (on Average) to make.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Before jumping in anywhere, try out Fractal Mapper 8 from NBOS too. I've used FM8, CC DOS, CC2, CC2 Pro and CC3. FM8 will do all that you want, and it's easy to learn, where CC3 has a very high learning curve. FM8 also does the printing operation you're seeking. You can evaluate FM8 completely without spending a cent. Just do the following:

1. Download the free trial version at http://www.nbos.com

2. Download the free manual-tutorial PDF at http://www.nbos.com/nox/index.php?action=1001&id=125

3. Download our free raster mapping tutorial at http://www.vintyri.com/vintyri/tu1.htm

The trial version of FM8 is identical to the full version with two exceptions: You can't save files, and you get a smaller symbol library. If, after you've tried FM8, you decide it's not for you, you haven't lost a cent. ProFantasy doesn't give you a trial version for CC3. You can use it for 14 days and then return it for your money back if you don't like it, but with CC3's steep learning curve, you may not know yet after 14 days whether it's really your program.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Never got around to using CC3 .. own a copy of CC2 somewhere, but never heard from support when I tried to upgrade.. but then again - everything CC3 can do.. PS3 can doooo better.... *lol* ... but its a lot more work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

While CC3 can be used to create encounter scale maps, it is really more a regional mapping software. Profantasy, the makers of CC3 have add-on apps including Dungeon Designer and City Designer, which are ideally made to create dungeon and city maps respectively. Dungeon Designer is more suited to the 1" = 5' type maps.

If you already have PS CS3, I'd say dive into the PS tutorials here at the Guild and give that a try. CS3 is more complex but offers a much wider range for the kinds of maps you're looking for.

CC3 is more a CAD app, with a steep learning curve, and in the end requires external source map objects and textures to do a nice map, that doesn't look like a typical CC3 map. YMMV.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast